IMAGE

Tsum-Tsum T-shirt, by Disney
WALLPAPER

Untitled
by Grant Gould (for StarWars.com)

FAN ART
by master--burglar
by master--burglar
FAN FICTION
Rush
by Love and Rock Music. (TCW) The first half of "Destroy Malevolence," as Anakin and Padmé make their way towards each other.

P/A SITE
The Anakin and Padmé Gallery

CALENDAR
Desktop Calendar // March/April 2015

 


FAN FICTION : THE CLONE WARS ERA

-------------------------------------------

Love In A Box

by Daenarrah

------------------------------

Summary: Padmé shows Anakin a simple and unassuming little box can hold a world full of treasures.

Time Frame: The beginning of the Clone Wars.

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters of Anakin Skywalker or Padmé Amidala. They’re both property of Uncle George.

-----------------------------

Anakin stood in the doorway to Padmé’s bedchamber watching her as she removed item after item from the small rectangular box that sat in her lap. Still dressed in a nightgown and situated comfortably in bed, she removed each piece with delicate care, looking at them lovingly before carefully placing them on the bed beside her. By her actions Anakin could tell she treated each one as if they were a precious Naboo gem. 

He had seen the wooden box sitting inconspicuously on her vanity during the time he had been assigned to protect her. He had gone over to it and admired its craftsmanship. Because it bore no special decorations or intricate detail he had assumed it was nothing more than a box to hold her hair pins and smaller clips. Watching her now, he realized just how wrong he was. By the look on Padmé’s face it was clear that simple box held her most valued treasures.

A slight frown marred his features at the thought. What were her most valued treasures? He didn’t know. He had only seen his wife twice in the past six months, and both times were quick and fleeting. That wasn’t enough to learn what it was she held most dear to her. Dear enough to keep it safely tucked away in an unassuming little box. He shook the thought away, realizing he had no reason to be upset. He’d learn today what she held close to her heart.

A warm and loving smile came to Anakin’s face as he continued to watch his wife. She looked so happy and content, and love poured out of her, filling the room and wrapping itself around him. At that moment he too felt the same way she did and he knew he could stand there and watch her forever, mesmerized by her effortless gestures. He also knew he would have to eventually break the spell her innocent and loving actions had cast on him and let her know he was there. 

She had no idea he was back on the planet. His return to the Temple had been unplanned, but the last mission had gone much smoother and quicker than expected. As a result, he and Obi-Wan had been given a few days leave. So here he was at Padmé’s apartment, ready to surprise her…but not yet.

Anakin didn’t know how much time had passed and, to him, none of that mattered.

Something compelled Padmé to look up and when she did the sight standing in her doorway brought a huge smile to her face, and her eyes light up with surprise and joy. “Anakin!” she beamed. “What are you doing here?” She moved to get out of bed, but Anakin stepped forward to stop her.

“Don’t get up,” he said, softly, slowly walking towards her. “I love seeing you like this.” The words came out in a reverent tone. “It’s so few and far between. I just want to enjoy it.”

Padmé felt her cheeks become warm from her husband’s words and she shyly looked down before lifting her gaze back up to his. She watched his slow approach and she could see all the love he had for her shining in his eyes.

Coming to sit down on the side of the bed, Anakin reached up and cupped Padmé’s face. Gazing deep into her eyes and running his thumb across her cheek, he whispered to her, “So beautiful,” then pulled her to him for a long and passionate kiss.

Breaking the kiss, the two looked at each other, just drinking the other in. A soft sigh left Padmé’s lips and she smiled sweetly at him. “What are you doing here?” she asked again. “How long have you been back?” Another thought crossed her mind and she frowned a bit. “And why didn’t you tell me?”

“I just found out a little bit ago,” Anakin answered. “Our mission went better than expected, and it was shorter too. Obi-Wan and I have a few days off.” He then leaned in so his nose was almost touching hers. “So I rushed over here as quickly as I could.

“Imagine my surprise to find my angel still in bed and looking so soft and relaxed, and beautiful. It was a sight I couldn’t resist, and never get enough of.” A cocky grin covered his face at those words.

A small gasp left Padmé’s mouth, catching on to what she thought was the meaning of his last words, and her eyes went wide. She pulled back to give Anakin an almost accusing glare and asked, “How long were you standing there?” glancing to her bedchamber doorway and back to him.

“Long enough to know I’ve missed you and I could have stood there and stared at you forever,” was Anakin’s reply.

“Ani.” Padmé said his name reverently.

Flashing her a smile, Anakin got up, moved the pillow out from behind her and situated himself in its place. He then pulled Padmé back, arranging her against him and wrapped his arms around her. “What’s all this?” he asked looking down at the items lying on the coverlet. He then glanced at the rectangular box. “I’ve seen that box sitting on your vanity and I always assumed it held things for your hair. I didn’t know otherwise until I watched you from the doorway.” His eyes fell to one particular thing he recognized and he felt pride swell in his chest. “Now I know it holds something else…something more.”

“Yes, it does,” Padmé said, leaning back into his chest. “You’ve never seen any of this.” She then reached down and picked the item Anakin had been eyeing a few seconds ago. “Except for this.” She held up a pressed flower that was the most vibrant shade of orange she had ever seen, and each petal bled out to a blue that was just as brilliant. “You gave it to me not long after we were married. It was after your second mission. I remember you saying you felt bad not being able to get me a present. So, when you came home you gave me this. I remember you telling me how hard it was to hide it from Obi-Wan.” A tender smile spread across her face. “You said it wasn’t much, that it was better than nothing. I thought it was the best wedding gift you could ever give me.”

Anakin reached up and took the flower from her hand. Studying it, he shook his head in disbelief. “That was only a few months ago and I don’t even remember what planet it’s from or what kind of flower it is. I just knew I had to get you something. I still don’t think it’s much.” He then placed it back in Padmé’s hand. 

“But I do,” Padmé said, looking at the flower again. “It’s everything because it comes from you.”

Anakin squeezed Padmé tighter while planting a kiss of the side of her head. It was followed by a pause of silence while Padmé put the flower back down on the bed.

“What’s this?” Anakin asked, picking up an object that had some kind of crest on it.

This,” Padmé began with a smile as she took the item from his hand, “is a time piece given to me by the Queen of Naboo the day before I ascended the throne.” She brought it close to her and ran her fingers over the cover. “That’s the Naberrie family crest on it.”

Anakin rested his head on her shoulder, intrigued by the time piece. He had never seen it before, so he was curious to know its history.

“Every Queen or King is given a time piece at the beginning of their reign. I remember being told it would never fail me, it would never lie. I also remember being told to treat it as if it were my most prize possession; that no one would question me or its accuracy.” She paused a moment, trying to remember all that she had been told so long ago. “I was told it would help me find focus and keep my reign true.”

“Did it?” Anakin asked, reaching out to touch and admire the crest. Using the Force, he popped it open to take a look inside.

“I was Queen for two terms.” Padmé smiled at the memories. “I think it did.”

“I think it did too,” Anakin added, closing the cover of the time piece.

While Padmé put it down Anakin noticed a set of gold bands lying on the bed. From what he could tell each one was encrusted with small, tiny jewels and in the middle of each band was a row of three larger, beautiful stones. “What are these?” he asked, calling them to him to get a better look.

A bittersweet smile came to Padmé’s face when she saw the rings settle in the palm of Anakin’s hand. She looked at them a while, thinking about their significance, before answering. “Those are my grandparent’s wedding rings.”

“…Wedding rings?” he repeated, a small frown pulled at the corners of his mouth. Without seeing her face or her having to say something, he immediately knew the importance they held to his wife. He could feel it and it made his heart ache a bit.

Padmé nodded silently then informed him. “They were given to me not long after I became Senator.”

Anakin nodded in return, then reached over and grabbed one of Padmé’s hands with his occupied one. Giving it a squeeze, he leaned down and said in a low voice, “I’m sorry.”

Padmé turned her head to look at him, nonplussed. “For what?”

“You should have a wedding ring,” he told her. “You should wear one. But you can’t.” He looked down at their hands. “It’s too risky.” His voice was low, barely above a whisper.

Padmé could clearly hear the sadness in his voice and she reminded him, “Ani, we knew what we were getting into when we married. We knew there were a lot of things we wouldn’t be able to do.”

“I know,” he mumbled. “But you should still be able to wear a ring.” That’s when an idea came to him. Letting go of Padmé’s hand and reaching around with his alloy one, he took hold of the smaller of the rings. “Can you wear this one? Does it fit?”

Padmé shook her head. “No, I’m afraid it doesn’t. My fingers are too small. And I’ve tried it on so many times hoping someday I could wear it, even if it’s just around here. But it just doesn’t fit.”

Anakin let out a frustrated sigh and tossed the ring back to rest with the other. He then closed his hand around the small bands before putting them back on the bed.

It was very clear to Padmé how upset he was and she knew she had to reassure him. She knew exactly how. “Ani, it’s all right. I don’t need a ring to know you love me and show that we’re together.”

“You still should have something,” he groused.

“But I do.”

“What?”

Leaning forward, Padmé reached into the box and scooped up what was its final contents. She hadn’t had a chance to take it out before she noticed Anakin was back and silently watching her so he didn’t know it was there. Knowing that made the surprise she had for him all the sweeter and she smiled at the thought.

Bringing her hands together as she sat back again - she didn’t want him to see it just yet - she situated it in the palm of her left hand, making sure he’d get a full view of it.

“This,” Padmé said, removing her hand away to reveal what the other held.

Anakin’s eyes grew wide and he opened his mouth slightly as he stared in awe and surprise at what was before him. He found he didn’t know what to say; he was too overwhelmed with astonishment and by the warm rise of love and happiness that flowed through him and threatened to spill over into the Force. His mouth opened and closed a few times while he tried to find the words. A funny little smile curled up on his lips when he finally said, “…That’s- that’s the Japor Snippet…I carved for you.”

Padmé nodded her head. “Yes it is.” She then went silent waiting for more of Anakin’s reaction.

Saying the words, he was able to focus on the small piece of wood Padmé held in her hand. It looked the same as it did the day he gave it to her. The lines were clean and crisp and the wood appeared to be smooth. It didn’t look dried out, and there were no signs of any cracks. Just staring at it, it was like he was back at that day on the Naboo Royal Cruiser when he had given it to her and told her it was something to remember him by and that it would bring her good fortune. Still, it was so long ago and he couldn’t believe she still had it.

“I can’t believe you still have it,” he put his thoughts of awe and amazement into words, reaching out, gingerly, to touch the snippet, “after all this time.” He then turned his head to look at Padmé. “You kept it.”

“I couldn’t get rid of it,” she said fondly, “It was given to me by a cute, sweet and funny little boy who went out of his way to help me.” She then shifted and craned her neck to the side a bit to look at him. “You didn’t have to, but you did.”

A sheepish look covered his face. “I wanted to be as close to you as I could. Even then, I already knew I loved you.”

Padmé looked at the snippet again and leaned her head against Anakin’s. “I remember when you told me you were going to marry me someday. I just smiled and thought you were being silly.”

Anakin chuckled slightly, returning his gaze to the Japor Snippet as well. “I remember you telling me I was just a little boy. I reminded you I’d grow up someday.” He then turned his head to Padmé’s and kissed her on the temple.

“And prove to me you were right.” Padmé added.

“I just can’t believe you still have it after all these years.” Anakin said, awe and wonderment returning to his voice. He brought his hand up to wrap around Padmé’s. “I thought you would have lost it or…maybe gotten rid of it, or just forgotten about it. We didn’t see each other for ten years. And when we did…well, I never thought I’d be seeing this again.”

“Just because we didn’t see each other doesn’t mean I forgot about you,” Padmé informed him. “I wore it under my gowns a few times during my first term, but the dresses were so cumbersome I was afraid I’d lose it in the process of removing everything. So, I started keeping it here in this box and I thought of you every time I saw it. I wondered how you were doing and how your training was going. After a while I couldn’t imagine getting rid of it. It had become too special to me. I thought I’d never see you again once you left for Coruscant and the Temple so this was something to remember you by.”

“Thank you,” Anakin said, wrapping his arms around Padmé and hugging her close.

Padmé snuggled back into him and said, “I told you I have something to let me know how much you love me and that we’re together.”

“And this is so much better than a ring,”

“I agree.” Padmé then thought of something. “Put it on me,” she requested, pulling away from Anakin a bit.

“Put it on you?” Anakin asked, knowing he heard her right but repeated her anyway.

Padmé nodded. “Yes, put it on me.” She put the snippet in Anakin’s hand and started pulling up her hair. “I want to wear it.”

The feelings of love and happiness returned once more and Anakin smiled. Quickly he took the snippet and placed it around Padmé’s neck, securely tying the jerba cord. “There,” he said, watching to see what she would do.

Letting down her hair, Padmé straightened the Japor Snippet that hung just above her chest, and turned her entire body around to face Anakin. “What do you think?” she asked, giving him a loving smile.

Anakin stared at the snippet as it hung around her neck; a wide smile slowly broke out across his face. “It’s beautiful,” he said, looking up at her. “Just like you.”

Padmé reached down and took Anakin’s hands in her - one real, one alloy. Looking at him, she said in a sincere and devoted voice. “I can’t wear a ring, but I can wear this whenever you’re home. It’ll be something for the two of us to see and remember how much we love each other.” She then squeezed his hands. “I’ll wear this for you, Ani. I want to.”

Anakin let go of one of Padmé’s hands and reached up to touch the Japor Snippet. He held it loosely in his fingers, enjoying the sight of it around Padmé’s neck, as well as its feel. He then brought both hands up to cup her face. “Thank you,” he whispered, gazing deep into her eyes.

“I love you, Ani.” Padmé whispered back.

“I love you too.”

He then pulled Padmé to him and captured her lips in a passionate kiss, pouring all his love for her into the intimate touch.

As they kissed Anakin thought about what she had said. It was true, they didn’t need rings to show they were together and in love. The small memento that hung around her neck, the one he lovingly carved for her so many years ago, was enough. It reminded him of what he treasured most, what he held most dear, and he knew it was the woman he held in his arms. Nothing else meant more to him in the entire galaxy than her and the love she gave him. And the many ways in which she showed it.

~finis

-------

<<back to cw era p/a fanfiction
<<back to p/a fanfiction