IMAGE

Tsum-Tsum T-shirt, by Disney
WALLPAPER

Untitled
by Grant Gould (for StarWars.com)

FAN ART
by master--burglar
by master--burglar
FAN FICTION
Rush
by Love and Rock Music. (TCW) The first half of "Destroy Malevolence," as Anakin and Padmé make their way towards each other.

P/A SITE
The Anakin and Padmé Gallery

CALENDAR
Desktop Calendar // March/April 2015

 


FAN FICTION : EPISODE II ERA (PRE-AOTC)

-------------------------------------------

I gon and dun' wrote a dern fanfic!
Part 1/3

by The Irish Jedi

----------------------------------------

There was too much light on Coruscant. To the left, a sea of cities, millions of pinpricks of yellow. To the right, the same, only closer, more intense.

From the thousands of craft in view, beams of halogen cut through whatever remnants of the night remained untouched by the glow about the city planet. The artificial brilliance dominated the sky, enveloped the stars, dulled the moon.

On Tatooine, the stars owned the sky. When the two suns faded and the brutal desert glare disappeared, everything turned to the milky hue of the heavens. It was almost as if you were on one of the moons itself.

For the most part, Anakin had learned to deal with homesickness. After ten years of training to be a Jedi on Coruscant, his memories of Tatooine had grown dim, distant. He often thought of his mother, certainly. She would never leave his mind. Thoughts of the planet itself had left after a year or two, though. His new life, and the considerable demands that came with it, did much to make the desert planet only a recollection, not a home. Now, though, he forced his mind's eye to find Mos Espa, to find the filth he grew up in. Despite the scum, the slavery, the debauchery of what dwelled in the port city, it was preferably to what preyed up his soul these last few nights.

Against his will, something a Jedi wasn't supposed to allow, her face appeared. Where the purple sky of Coruscant's night should have borne a moon, her face hovered.

Eyes the deep opal of space, vacuums that pulled in any unwary glances. Thin, arching brows, delicate yet stern. Age and youth one and the same. The soft, full mouth, so rarely smiling, but awe inspiring when it did.

Her slender, beautiful form, so often hidden beneath layers of gown and pomp.

Most of all, though, her voice, like the call of a siren, so simple, so casual, yet still the voice of a queen.

In the back of his brain, Anakin called forth the memory of that voice, saying his name. Over and over. With the millions of thoughts that would have to cross her regal mind in one day, with the millions of words that would have to be spoken by her regal voice, her breathing his name out made his blood race beyond his control.

"Stop it," he murmured to himself, rubbing his eyes, head bowed into his cupped hands. Turning away from the ledge of the observatory deck, Anakin exhaled a powerful sigh.

"A Jedi must be clear of mind and heart, Anakin," Obi-Wan had told him repeatedly. Yet he was clear of neither. Surely, his master and friend would notice, and the lecture that would follow would be terribly stern.

"Why can't I force her from my mind?" he demanded, only the walls of his apartment listening.

Shutting the door behind him, Anakin switched off the outside light, and made his way to the kitchen.

As he was pouring himself a glass of water, he felt the stirrings of the Force.

Someone was in his apartment.

Holding his hand out to the side, he called his lightsaber, which had been resting on the sofa to him. The weapon glided across the room, guided by the Force, and came to rest in Anakin's palm.

Allowing his mind to open, letting his feelings stretch out, he carefully moved along the wall, thumb on the saber's activation switch. Whoever was foolish enough to sneak into a Jedi's home was about to pay dearly.

Summoning his control of the Force, Anakin moved towards the bedroom as fast as he could, only a blur of tan colored robes.

As he exploded into the room, activating his lightsaber's brilliant blue-white blade, he stopped directly in front of the intruder.

And jumped back as she cried out, startled.

"Padmé?" he said, shocked.

Suffering from the initial shock, Padmé was behind the bed, hand clasped over her chest, eyes wide.

"Anakin?" she replied. Then, with more heat. "What are you doing? You scared the hell out of me!"

"You?" he retorted, turning off his saber. "You? I'm not the one breaking and entering!"

"I was visiting you, you moron!" she shouted, moving towards him, finger pointing accusingly.

"Moron?" he said, incredulous. "Who's the moron, me or the one trying to sneak up on a Jedi in his own home?"

"Don't you think you overreacted? I mean, I didn't figure I had to knock."

Anakin turned away, walking back to the kitchen, hiding his face from her.

"Really? You should. It's not like you ever come by."

Padmé followed after him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," he said, waving dismissively, as he walked back into the kitchen. "It's just that I haven't seen you in a while. You shouldn't just pop up, you know."

"It's only been two weeks, Annie," she said, standing on the other side of the counter.

He was actually surprised. It felt like a year.

"I'm just saying you should have called or something," he said, pouring more water. His throat was dry, and he was trying desperately to ignore the strange feeling in his stomach.

"Look, Ani --"

"I would prefer if you'd call me Anakin."

She smiled, eyes looking mischievous under her arching brows. "Sure, Annie. Look, you know I'm very busy. I'm not even supposed to be here. I had to slip out of the suite to get over to see you. You can imagine how hard it is to do that when you're the Queen."

"So you keep reminding me," he bit out, then sipped his water.

She looked around the room, uncomfortable suddenly.

"Is something the matter? Are you mad at me about something?"

Trying to convey as much casual behavior as he could, Anakin shrugged. "You just don't seem to have much use for me anymore. If you ever did. I'm just trying to save you the time. Don't bother coming here if you're just taking pity on the poor desert rat turned Jedi wannabe."

She stood directly in front of him, face only inches away. Those eyes of opal bored into his, demanding his attention.

"I didn't think that's what I was doing. Why are you being like this?"

Anakin wanted to say that he didn't know. He missed her so much, and the feeling he got, just standing next to her, the smell of lilacs coming off her hair... Why couldn't he just be happy?

"I thought I was coming to see my friend," she pressed, hand settling on his sleeve.

He turned away again, averting his eyes.

"Is that what I am? Your friend?"

Now she turned her back, walking towards the door. She seemed unsteady, almost nervous. He had never seen her nervous, not in the middle of a firefight on Naboo, not standing before the entire Galactic Senate. It was unnerving him, in fact.

She opened the door, stepping into the night outside. The door remained open. He may have not been the smoothest of people, but Anakin understood a signal when he saw one.

Gathering his calm and courage, he followed her steps, walking out into the Coruscant night.

***

The sanitary white of the hallway seemed to stretch to an absurd length, wire rings along the ceiling creating arches over Obi-Wan Kenobi's head, giving the impression of crossing a threshold. It was like an untold number of other hallways and corridors in a building like an untold number of other buildings in Coruscant. Like they were made from the same stencil.

Obi-Wan was tired, his step ragged and labored. Much had been demanded of the Jedi Knight in the recent weeks, not the least of which was the demands of his Padawan's training.

Anakin Skywalker was nothing if not stubborn, except maybe brave. Even after a decade of training under Obi-Wan's guide, the young man was terribly impetuous and easily distracted. Particularly lately.

The obvious reason stood before Kenobi even know. From the window he saw the two dark forms, shadowed from the city's brilliance, standing close together.

"No good can come from this," Kenobi grumbled to himself.

Too exhausted to exercise the usual manners, the Jedi entered the access code to enter his Padawan’s apartment. He made no secret of his entrance, stirring odd things about to alert the two.

He noticed Anakin move away from the Queen hastily, knowing immediately it was his Master. For her part, Queen Amidala stood her ground, almost glaring at Obi-Wan.

As he opened the glass door to the outside deck, he smiled thinly.

"I trust I'm not disturbing anything," he said by way of greeting.

"As a matter of fact, Jedi Kenobi--" the queen started, but Anakin interrupted her.

"No, master. We were talking, grabbing what moments we could together before duties call."

"And they have," Obi-Wan answered coolly. He felt a light wind stir his thin beard, his long hair about his shoulders. Updrafts from the traffic below added to the storm approaching on the horizon, a sense of moisture in the air.

"I see," Anakin replied, not attempting to hide his disappointment.

"I don't suppose it might wait a few moments?" Amidala said, hints of courtly command seeping under her words.

"No, your highness, I'm afraid not. And might I add that I'm quite sure you've an entire legion of handmaidens and guards looking for you. Perhaps you should consider contacting them before they have the garrison on alert."

The queen's eyes narrowed, though the rest of her face remained passive, controlled.

"I'll thank you not to patronize me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. I have an endless supply of bureaucrats to do that for me, I certainly don't need to add a harping Jedi to that list." Her voice was reproaching, even if the tone was almost flat and dull. The voice of one too long immersed in debate. "I will spend my nights as I choose," she added sternly.

Obi-Wan flashed a pleasant grin, and nodded. "But of course, your majesty. I merely must deny you of my Padawan for the evening. What ever other adventure you wish to court, I wish you luck with it."

In his own subtle way, Obi-Wan had asked the queen to leave. Though he still lacked some of the smoothness his old mentor Qui-Gon Jinn could emote, Obi-Wan had become quite the political Jedi, very agreeable in an argument, until one realized how quietly calculating a Jedi could be.

Staring hard at Kenobi as she left the balcony, Amidala turned to Anakin, who seemed very confused.

"We'll continue this later, Anakin," she said. Then, after looking at Kenobi caustically, brought her hand up behind the young Jedi's head, fingers running into his hair. She brought her mouth to his, lightly at first, then more deep as her lips opened around his.

The two held the kiss for a few seconds, and then the queen released the flustered Anakin, nodded to Obi-Wan, and exited.

Kenobi let his eyes follow her out of the apartment before bringing his gaze back to his student.

Anakin was grinning like he was a Jawa at a dump site, eyes unfocused, and a thin film of sweat on his forehead.

"Contain yourself, Anakin," Obi-Wan said, trying to allow as much reproach into his voice as possible.

The Padawan continued his wide smile, however, just shaking his head.

"Did you see that, Obi-Wan? She kissed me," he said, staring at the door she had just exited.

"Really? Hadn't noticed," came the dry retort.

Staring at his master as if he was just noticing him, Anakin began laughing. "We hadn't even spoken a word yet when you came in. I didn't tell her how I felt or anything!"

"That's all fine and well, Anaki--"

"That means she feels the same, Obi-Wan!" Anakin exclaimed, gripping his mentor by the shoulder. "Doesn't it?"

"Whatever the case, Ana--"

"Of course it does! Why else would she kiss me?"

"To get you to shut up?" Obi-Wan snapped, finally getting his student's attention. "Anakin, I'm not trying to be some chaperone for you, I understand you are a mature person, for the most part anyway. But I'm afraid I must protest to whatever it is you and Queen Amidala seem to have."

Brows knitting in immediate suspicion, Anakin stared hard at the Jedi Knight. "Why?"

"I would think it obvious. You are training to be a Jedi Knight, a life that demands complete devotion to your cause. By the same token, she is the Queen of Naboo, a role every bit demanding as ours is."

Anakin shook his head, turning his back to Obi-Wan, once again staring at the cityscape. "No. We can make it work, Obi-Wan. I know we can."

Obi-Wan now shook his own head. "No, Anakin you can't. One, it simply isn't logistically feasible. The life of a Jedi will take us to many places on short notice."

"I'm sure something can be--"

"Two--"

"Some form of agreement--"

"Two," Obi-Wan pressed on, voice overpowering his student's. "Any relationship like the one you're talking about attempting will only hinder your chances of becoming a Jedi Knight. Already your mind is crowded with thoughts of her. You cannot deny that."

Anakin exhaled, frustrated. "Her presence satiates that need. She gives me the peace of mind demanded of me."

"You must find it on your own, without her. The council already views your training with skepticism. You cannot afford to jeopardize that standing any further."

"You're telling me to ignore my feeling for politics, Obi-Wan? That doesn't sound like you."

His own frustration rising, Kenobi pointed a finger into his Padawan’s chest. "Perhaps it is time I started sounding like that more often, then. Because it is the voice of reason. Have you given any thought as to what her people, her court will feel about the two of you? You serve the Jedi, Anakin, she serves and represents her people. Their dictates form her life. I don't think a nomadic Jedi will be their choice for a royal consort, do you?"

Temper flaring, Anakin pushed aside Obi-Wan's finger.

"I don't care! Will your clairvoyance rob me of yet another love? Was my mother and home not enough? Do you have to deny me more?"

The Jedi Knight stepped back, hands making a placating gesture.

"Control your emotions, Anakin. You're letting your anger corrode your thoughts. In turn, your motives shall be corroded."

"No more speeches today, Obi-Wan. No more prophetic mumblings. I love her." With that, Anakin stormed off the balcony.

Alone, only the din of the night city with him, Obi-Wan held down his frustration. "I have a bad feeling about this ..."

***

"I'm freezing."

Amidala let her head turn to the side, only marginally, the corner of her eye catching the guard.

Noticing her gaze, the man straightened up immediately, somewhat shocked that his young queen had heard his murmur.

Despite the look she gave her guard, Amidala understood and sympathized with his words. Indeed the Naboo air was frigid, as the winds of the autumn squall howled all around her contingent.

Trying vainly not to huddle together, the dozen or so guards that had accompanied her to the veranda over-looking the Great Lawn shivered under the blanket of heavy rain screaming from the dark sky.

When the storm seasons on Naboo were in full gear, the terrain and the climate could be quite treacherous, and the rains were almost divine in their fury. Like small stones, the fat orbs of water cascaded along everything in sight.

Under the murky light of the lamps hanging overhead on the veranda, the rain was golden, like waves of aged wine washing along the black cobblestones. She fancied she could see individual particles writhing inside the drops, black marks inside the amber. Like miniscule sunspots. Like the marks on her heart.

"Your highness, I really must urge you to wait in the palace observation rooms. This weather will only make you sick," Panaka, her loyal captain and ever-vigilant guardian urged. He was also an accomplished worry wort.

"No..." she said, almost too faint to hear. They were the first words she had spoken in hours it seemed. She almost didn't trust her voice.

"At least put your rain cover back on then, your majesty," Panaka pressed, holding the waterproof garment out in his hand.

She didn't even spare the gesture a glance. She barely noticed the arctic air, the pounding rain that seemed to come from all sides at all times, the furious winds that seemed hell bent on pushing her back inside.

"What is this storm to the onus on my heart?" she wondered aloud.

"Pardon, your highness?" Panaka asked, stepping closer.

"Nothing, Captain. Just a rhetorical question, really. My over-dramatic tendencies getting the best of me again."

"Yes, your highness." Panaka paused before continuing. "My Queen, you are completely soaked. At least put a hat on, won't you?"

Amidala noticed her hair for the first time. Within moments of removing her poncho, her hair had been ravaged out of its bun, and now hung limp and matted on her forehead and down her back.

Behind them, the guards perked up, gripping their rifles, alert suddenly.

Taking his cue from his men, Panaka let his hand rest on his blaster on his hip. His face was instantly back into its usual, comfortable warrior's visage.

Amidala strained her eyes to pierce the obsidian horizon, where the largest of the green hills surrounding Naboo stretched back into the darkness.

"There," Panaka said softly, finger pointing into the void.

She followed his arm, but saw nothing but rain, grass, and blackness.

"Where?" she demanded, voice far more stern than she had intended.

"There, your highness," he replied.

Truly, the captain's eyes were remarkable. None of other guards had seen anything yet either. They followed his gesture almost as intently as she.

Just as she was about to repeat her demand, she saw them.

At first they were only grainy inconsistencies, marring the pure green hill. Then the two figures began to form coherent shapes, definite beings.

"How the bloody hell aren't they freezing to death?" one of the guards said, clearly taken aback.

"The forests are even worse during the storms! All the fools are wearing are robes, for pity's sake," another added.

Amidala turned to the guards, her eyes hooded under low lids, but intense nonetheless.

"They are not fools, lieutenant. They are Jedi."

The men nodded to her reproach and resumed watching the two approaching figures. While the Jedi closed in upon the city, and the veranda itself, the queen felt her heart begin to amplify in her chest, her blood grow hot despite the weather.

She could not appear like some lovesick schoolgirl in front of the others, though. She was their queen, the focal point for their existence at the moment. She must act accordingly.

In an amazingly short time, the Jedi had reached the veranda. Walking in measured, casual steps, the two robed men approached the queen and her contingent.

The taller of the two, if only marginally, spoke from under his soaked robe, hood hanging over his face.

"Greeting your highness," he began. It was Obi-Wan Kenobi, she realized, confirming her hopes. And fears. Obviously, Anakin was standing next to him.

"Perhaps we should exchange pleasantries inside, Jedi Kenobi," she replied. "I fear the weather is getting the best of my men."

"Of course," he answered, and the Jedi fell in step with her guards.

No words were spoken as they made their way back to the palace. Amidala did all she could to not sneak a glance at Anakin, his familiar features obscured by his robe.

With a collective sigh of relief from the guards, they entered back into the palace. In the large room, one of many receiving holds, and under the bright lights from the ornately designed chandeliers, Amidala noticed how haggard she must look. Fortunately she had the foresight not to wear make-up out in the storm, but she noticed in her reflection on one of the mirrors how pale her face had become, her lips bloodless.

Suddenly, a towel hovered in front of her. She turned to see Anakin's hand motioning, using the Force to present her with the cloth. Panaka glared as he seemed always to do, and the other guards seemed somewhat unnerved. It wasn't easy being in the presence of a Jedi.

"Thank you," she said, voice still neutral, as she had practiced.

As she rubbed the towel on her head, scrubbing at her matted hair, both Jedi removed their hoods.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was every bit as handsome, charming, and intimidating as ever. The thin brown beard which accentuated his sharp jaw and chin gave a look of aristocracy to his otherwise plebian Jedi attire. Of course the sharp blue eyes, which seemed to take in everything, alerted all to the power that stood in front of him.

She didn't allow her eyes to linger too long on Anakin. She simply couldn't trust herself. She did let her gaze slide over him quick enough to register the features burned into her mind and heart. Sandy blonde hair, cut short, with the Padawan braid hanging over his tunic. Kind face, young with confidence and potential, easily smiling. How she had missed him these last three months.

Three months that felt like years, stuck on Naboo while he toiled on Coruscant. She hadn't even had an opportunity to speak with him since that night on the deck outside his apartment.

"It is the Jedi Council's pleasure to be assisting you in these latest matters, your highness," Obi-Wan said, bringing her attention back to the present.

"And it is my, and the people of Naboo's extreme gratitude you shall receive in turn, Jedi Kenobi," she answered, smiling slightly, not showing her teeth as she had been taught since she was able to speak.

"I'm sure you and Jedi Skywalker must be exhausted, what with your trip to Otoh Gunga and such. Captain Panaka will show you to your quarters where you can get some rest."

As she signaled her captain, however, Kenobi shook his head.

"Actually, your majesty, we're quite rested as it is. We would like to begin preparing for the dignitaries and fortifying your palace."

"The palace is fortified quite well," Panaka added, voice surly.

"No offense meant Captain, I'm quite sure you are unequal in your proficiency, but I'd think we would both agree that any edge in protecting the Queen would be welcome," Obi-Wan said, effectively dismissing the over-zealous Captain's concerns.

"By all means," Amidala said.

The two Jedi met each other’s eyes, some hidden conversation going on between the two. Kenobi's eyes narrowed, but he sighed, as if in recognition.

The older Jedi turned back to the queen. "I would like to accompany Captain Panaka on an inspection of the facilities, with your permission. My apprentice will remain with you, per our instructions."

"Instructions?" Panaka said.

"Yes, Captain. One of us is to be the queen at all times when she is not in her chambers."

"Wait one mom--"

"That was expected, Captain," Amidala said, cutting off Panaka. "Very well, Jedi Kenobi. Do as you must."

Exchanging a long glance with his Padawan, while Panaka was doing the same with her, Obi-Wan and the guards moved down the hallway, voices becoming muffled as they grew more distant.

Only letting her eyes meet Anakin's peripherally, Amidala motioned her two remaining guards and trio of handmaidens to follow.

Anakin moved with them, staying behind her, to the side, as a proper escort would do. If he was at all distracted, he showed no outward signs of it. His eyes were sharp, taking in the surroundings, subtle and dangerous like any Jedi.

After a vast procession of staircases, they reached the doors to her main bedchamber.

Gathering her courage, and hoping she wasn't making a complete fool of herself, Amidala turned to her handmaidens and guards.

"That will be all. I'll send for you when I am in need of you."

They looked around, confused, especially the handmaidens. They were unused to being dismissed.

"I have the Jedi here now, he'll watch over me for awhile," she explained, still not looking at Anakin.

"But your highness, the other Jedi said they were to watch you when not in --"

The handmaiden cut short her words as Amidala's eyes narrowed. She was not a queen who liked to be questioned.

"Yes, your highness," they all said, moving away slowly.

Keying the door open, she walked into her bedchamber. She felt Anakin follow behind, slightly slower than he had been walking.

As the door shut behind her, Amidala turned to Anakin.

"It's good to see you again, Anakin," she said, voice sounding hollow in her ears. He merely nodded. Eyes wary.

"I trust you've been well these past few months?" she asked, hoping to elicit some response.

"Well enough, I suppose," he replied at last. While he had kept his voice calm, there was a hint of bitterness under the words.

"You must understand that I wanted to call, or at least write you, but matters here have been ... well, demanding." She tried to convey some measure of apology in her eyes. He wouldn't meet them, however.

"I understand. That's why we're here." He was lying. She knew him far too well. Walking over to one of the cabinets on her wall, she pulled out some glasses. Usually she would have servants all around for menial duties such as that, but she had prepared for this. Whatever "this" was.

"You can imagine my surprise when I learned the Council was sending Obi-Wan and you," she pressed on, hoping the small talk would convince him to drop his guard.

"Oh?" he said. The tone in his voice made it clear what he thought of her surprise. Realizing that the forced casual exchange was only making things worse, she took a deep breath and turned back to him.

"Anakin, I wanted to see you so badly. Just as I've wanted to talk to you these three months, more than you can imagine."

At last he met her gaze, but he was still cautious, still wary of hurt.

"But I am the Queen. And you are a Jedi. We have responsibilities to many others, ones which we cannot supersede for our own feelings. But that doesn’t make our feelings for each other any less."

Anakin looked down, throat constricting it seemed. "I know," he whispered. "You did what was right by not calling me. I understand why, and I respect you for doing it. Obi-Wan thinks nothing good can come of us. He may be right."

She was standing so close now, the skin on her finger just barely grazing the back of his hand.

"I did it so not to hurt you. And me," she continued, lips only inches from his.

"Of course," he murmured, head bowing slightly.

Catching herself before she gave in to her desire, Amidala spun around on her heel, making her way back to the counter, to the glasses. She heard Anakin sigh.

She stared at the fine glass, the distorted reflection of her, and behind her Anakin. Warped, twisted.

"To hell with it," she said, letting the glass fall to the tiled floor. Shards of the shattered glass fell around her feet as she walked back to Anakin.

Before he could react, she wrapped her arms under his and pressed her mouth to his again. This time, though, he responded instantly, his strong arms tightening around her.

They awkwardly kissed each other for long minutes, experimenting with the feel of their mouths.

"About time," she breathed, mouth still on his clean-shaven cheek.

"Now what?" he laughed as he lightly kissed her ear.

Outside, the rain continued to pound the palace, the storm gathering ...

***

The blast shattered the rock into dozens of heated, gray shards, each spraying like shrapnel.

"Down!" Anakin barked, pulling his saber from his belt and igniting the blue-white blade in one motion.

Beside him, the royal guards dropped to one knee, blasters drawn, vainly looking for where the shot came from. Two of the guards had Chancellor Palpatine pressed down to the ground, shielding him.

As smoke hung in the cavern's damp air, thick and heavy like fog, a calm followed the moment of violence.

"Do you see anything?" Haschel, one of the younger sentries, whispered.

"Quiet," Anakin snapped, trying to focus on what he could not see. He felt the stirrings of the Force, echoing in his mind, but it was elusive.

"We have to get the Chancellor and the Mayor out of here!" Wynn, the commanding officer hissed.

"Stay still," Anakin replied, voice calm again, as he closed his eyes, searching the room. They would not remain hidden for long.

"We've no time for any Jedi intuition, damn it! We've the Chancellor of the entire Republic here! Not to mention the mayor of Naboo," Wynn persisted, voice rising.

"Way to advertise it," Haschel murmured.

Before his CO could respond, Palpatine waved his hand dismissively.

"It's of no consequence, I'm afraid. Whoever our attackers are, they obviously know who is present. That-" he pointed to the smoldering rock -"was an example."

Another blast screamed from the cavern's darkness, directly at Palpatine's exposed head.

With a blur of motion, Anakin flashed in front of the Chancellor, bringing his lightsaber in an arc. The blade caught the blast and reflected it, the Force guiding the young Jedi's hands, and where he sent the shot back to.

A scream echoed through the narrow cave walls, as a black clad body fell from somewhere above, near one of the other elevated cavern entrances. The smoking corpse plummeted down the vast cave walls, until it disappeared into the obsidian waters of the Nagua River below.

"Up straight!" Wynn cried, knowing what was coming.

Vindicating the officer, a fresh volley of blasts erupted from the higher outcropping, scores of red flashes raining down on the group.

Anakin held firm in front of the Chancellor and the Mayor, saber deflecting any blast that came at them. He reached out for the flow of the Force, trying to feel where everything was coming from, know where it would strike before it did.

Issuing their response, the guardsmen stood beside the Jedi, returning fire. What was, until only seconds ago, the murky darkness of the cave had turned into a brilliantly lit firefight, red and green blasts trading in the relatively small space. Beside Anakin, two guards were hit, Wynn catching a blast directly in the chest. He stretched his arms out further to compensate, and was rewarded with two ricocheted blasts striking another attacker. Even as the body fell from the cavern entrance, however, another replaced it.

"We can't hold!" the Mayor shouted above the din. "We must retreat farther into the cave!"

Anakin balked at that idea. The caves were relatively foreign to him. They were the sacred worship places of Gungans long passed. They had only been known to the Naboo for the last three years, and were only minorly explored. Wynn had been the one to do most of the exploring.

"Have you alerted the palace?" Anakin asked, sweat beading down his forehead as the blasts intensified. His arms ached as he sped his defense up.

"We're being jammed!" Haschel replied. Firing two quick blasts into their attackers midst, he checked his wrist piece. "I don't show any Gungans in the vicinity, either!"

"Surely they'll hear the blasts!" the mayor said.

"Perhaps they are the Gungans," Chancellor Palpatine surmised.

"No. Those are no Gungans," Anakin stated firmly, though he truthfully couldn't be sure. He just knew it wasn't. They wouldn't.

Another blast slipped in, searing the mayor's shoulder.

"Aaaaaaah!" he screamed, falling back. As one of the guards went to hold him, a shot caught him in his helmet.

"Anakin!" Haschel shouted, desperate.

Gritting his teeth, Anakin realized that they wouldn't last here. Unexplored or not, they had no choice.

"Fall back!" he shouted, backpedaling slowly.

In an attempt to cover them, he reached out with his free hand, and lifted a half dozen small and medium-sized stones. Gesturing forcefully, he propelled them like missiles at their pursuers. He was rewarded with a few cries as the barrage sagged momentarily.

"Go!"

Turning the corner, the four surviving guardsmen, the two dignitaries, and the Jedi raced down the path. Blasts followed, but the way was windy, giving them a cover, at least temporarily.

As they raced deeper into the heart of the caverns, Anakin noticed the bath growing ever more narrow even while the stalactites above grew more distant.

"We're heading for the core," he murmured to himself.

***

Obi-Wan Kenobi rarely seemed to be allowed luxuries these days. It occurred to him that the more proficient and skilled he grew in using the Force, the less he was afforded some of the little things he so loved when younger.

As a relatively young Jedi Knight still, and with an even younger Padawan, Obi-Wan's services were called on frequently by the council. From diplomacy on Mon Calamari to battling smugglers and pirates in the Outer Rim, he and Anakin had touched many corners of the galaxy in the last few years. He never thought he would say it, but he needed a vacation.

Naboo was a perfect choice. The last two times he had been here, he hadn't really noticed the beauty and the serenity. The first time, he was busy avoiding battle droids and then saving the Queen from Federation occupation, and the second time...

He felt his throat constrict as the unwanted memory resurfaced. As often as Obi-Wan thought of Qui-Gon Jinn, his Jedi Master, his mentor, his friend, his father, he rarely, if ever, thought of the day he died.

Even to the present day, Padawan and Jedi alike talked about what Obi-Wan had done that terrible day. Watching his Master stuck down viciously by the twisted Sith Lord, Obi-Wan had faced the evil creature. And defeated him, spectacularly at that.

He did his best to forget that day, however. The fight with the Sith was a blur to him, lost in the memory of Qui-Gon lying dead in his arms.

Now, though, he could enjoy this planet, this paradise. Every particle in the air seemed to bestow kindness, health, beauty. From the azure sky, streaked with cotton like wisps of clouds, to the emerald grass so bright it seemed to reflect the golden sun, to the cobalt waters, serene and sparkling. Naboo was perfect.

The people certainly embodied the spirit of their jewel of a planet. Kind, intelligent, cultured ... they were an accepting and loving group, unaccustomed to the brutality and machinations that plagued most of the rest of the Republic lately.

No wonder Anakin had fallen in love with their queen. Obi-Wan's previous opposing of their budding romance seemed to be foolish to him now. If Queen Amidala even possessed half of the traits of her people and planet, then she was certainly worth the risk his young Padawan was taking.

Obi-Wan looked to his left, where the queen was standing, conversing with some of the other dignitaries that had arrived from Coruscant.

Surprisingly enough, she wasn't in her usual attire of ornate gowns and elaborate make up. Instead, she wore a simple white dress, cut to her slim form, with a V collar, showing a delicate and pronounced collarbone, fair skin.

Her scarlet painted mouth smiled pleasantly as she traded some political joke with Senator Organa from Alderaan, whom she seemed to be hitting it off with.

What most of the dignitaries saw that Obi-Wan did, however, was what was behind those shining, gorgeous eyes. Razor-sharp intelligence. Extremely quick calculations and responses. Multiple reactions to most conceivable situations.

The Naboo queen was before, when he first met her, a prodigy of a ruler, showing more potential than any he had ever encountered.

Now, she was living up to that potential, becoming one of the most formidable people in the galaxy.

"Jedi Kenobi," Senator Organa called over, interrupting his appraisement of the young queen. "Would you care to join us? I think you'll find our discussion rather interesting."

Obi-Wan smiled, nodded, and walked over to the group of politicians. He usually found such company unwanted, but these particular people were the exception.

"What might this discussion be, senator?" the Jedi replied, voice cultured and pleasant.

"The state of the Republic, no less," Organa chuckled, blue eyes bright and friendly. "I'm afraid a Jedi has little to offer in terms of statesmanship, my friend. We tend to stick to small sentences. Keeps up our mystique, you know."

The group laughed. Jedi humor was a rarity, but Obi-Wan was no conventional Jedi.

"That's not how your Padawan seems to view things, it seems," Organa retorted. "This morning, after I made, what I realize now, a rather ill-advised remark about the Outer Rim territories, he had plenty to say."

Obi-Wan grimaced slightly. "Yes, Anakin hasn't quite mastered subtlety yet. One would think it would come sooner, but he is rather stubborn."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the Queen nod marginally.

"Of course, I think it might be due to his desire to impress our lovely queen that my apprentice spoke of politics," Obi-Wan cracked, watching her reaction.

Without the makeup, her ever so slight blush was visible, but only just.

"Who wouldn't try such an endeavor?" the senator replied jovially, actually slapping Obi-Wan on the back. He found himself liking this senator.

Just as he was about to continue, he was interrupted by a comlink going off on Captain Panaka's belt.

"--epeat, this is --ch, of the 14th squa-- and we are under attack. Repeat, thi--" the static filled communication sounded.

Panaka snatched his comlink off his belt and barked into it.

"This is Panaka, report."

"Capt-- We're though!" the voice was young, and obviously stressed. "We're in the --gan caverns --- >> der attack from unknow-- ... only three guardsmen left -- mayor is injured, Chancellor safe for now --"

"Locking coordinates now," Panaka said, already alerting the garrison. "We're on our way. How many hostiles?"

"--n't know, sir. Suspect many. Jedi Skywa--er is going to attempt to -- fire, while we move deeper into the caverns."

"We're on our way," Panaka repeated. "Try and hold out!"

"Yes si--" The static hissed, then the comm went dead.

"Come in!" Panaka shouted, vainly.

Obi-Wan felt the dread and fear gnawing at his stomach. The squadron that had accompanied Chancellor Palpatine to see the ancient Gungan caverns was large, and handpicked of the best. Now only three survived, and that might have already changed.

He knew that the only thing that had kept them alive so far was Anakin. He was young, however, and not even close to realizing his full potential.

"Stay with the queen!" he shouted to Panaka, as raced for the nearest transport hangar. "I will deal with this!"

Whether or not the captain would do as he was told, Obi-Wan had no clue. It was irrelevant anyway, as the Jedi was in a speeder, screaming for the caverns in seconds.

As wind ripped through his hair and the speeder neared the caverns, Obi-Wan called out to Anakin repeatedly, even shouting his name.

No reply came.

Trying to fight of his panic, Obi-Wan pressed hard on the throttle trying will the craft to move faster.

The sounds of the firefight echoed from the damp cavern walls, coming from every direction.

Fortunately for Obi-Wan, he could see the green and red flashes of light flaring from deep within the caves. He could also feel the anxiety coming from Anakin's mind, the urgency and the feeling that the end might be near.

With what to the average witness would be considered reckless abandon, Obi-Wan leapt from outcropping to outcropping, legs pounding hard as he sped through the treacherous caverns. His Jedi reflexes where honed to a matchless level, and it showed as he deftly and rapidly negotiated what would take others hours to do in just minutes.

As he turned the spiraling corners in the labyrinth-like cavern, he absently noticed the Gungan paintings lining the walls, archaic renderings from long ago. He wondered why no Gungans had responded to the battle. Surely here, on their sacred ground, they would become involved.

The sight of still smoking blaster marks in the rock caused Kenobi to dismiss his ponderings for the time, his heart already racing.

The sights and sounds of the firefight intensified as Obi-Wan came upon an expansive section of the cavern, the ceiling so far from the stream below, it was hard to see in the darkness.

Tucked behind a few painfully small boulders, Anakin, two royal guardsmen, the mayor, and the chancellor were taking cover from the furious barrage pounding down on them.

Slightly below Obi-Wan, their attackers stood, at least a dozen strong and black clad. They all brandished blaster rifles, spitting out fire at a dangerous pace. Their constant volleys spoke volumes about how desperate they were growing. They knew help would arrive shortly.

And it had.

Launching himself into the air, Obi-Wan tucked his knees into his gut, his body turning in a flip.

As his inertia and gravity brought him into the attackers' midst, he let his feet kick out, striking two immediately.

Even as they spun around to deal with the new threat, the Jedi ignited his lightsaber with a hiss, the brilliant blade glowing blue.

"Jedi!" one of the black-clad men shouted, just before he was cut down. Obi-Wan's arms were a blur, the saber a smear of light blue cutting through their ranks.

Finishing off a fourth by searing into his stomach with the saber, Obi-Wan pivoted halfway around, his right hand stretching out, while the left drove the saber into the flesh.

The outstretched hand gestured almost lazily at the onrushing trio of attackers, yet the result was spectacular. Hard as any blow, the Force stuck the men, sending them crashing into the rock with the sound of bones being crushed.

Howling an alien battle cry, one of the villains leapt from a rock above, knife in hand, cold steel pointed for the Jedi's heart.

Obi-Wan caught the plummeting man in the grip of the Force, holding him suspended while he whipped his boot out in a vicious side kick, catching an approaching shock troop in the head. As the downed trooper slid across the jagged ground, Kenobi brought his arms around, as if pushing something away, and the suspended attacker smashed into his last two comrades.

With three swipes of his lightsaber, Obi-Wan finished the only seconds old fight. Silence descended upon the cavern as the victorious Jedi deactivated his saber, surveying his handiwork. Pushing one of the dispatched attackers over with his boot toe, he gazed at the dead man.

They wore pure black helmets, reflective face shields obscuring their faces.

"Odd," Obi-Wan muttered to himself as he noticed the filed off insignia on the helmet. If he didn't know better, he thought the helmets looked suspiciously like Republic special forces commando headgear.

He heard a slap of boots against rock and looked up. Anakin leapt over the cover his pursuers had been using and smiled widely at his master.

"Excellent timing, master," he said walking over to his friend and clasping hands. While he certainly looked a little worse for wear, Anakin didn't seem injured.

"The mayor was hit, and one of the guardsmen is severely wounded," Anakin reported.

"What of the Chancellor?"

"He's fine."

"Thanks to you, I might add," Chancellor Palpatine said, stepping over the rocks as he and the others made their way up. The Chancellor, the Mayor, and one guard.

"Collins?" Anakin asked.

"Died a moment ago," another guardsmen, a young one at that, replied, face forlorn and angry at the same time.

"I see," Anakin said, adopting a similar expression.

Palpatine put his hand on the young Jedi's shoulder, comforting.

"We lost many brave souls this night, I'm afraid," he said, voice grave. "But we would have lost even more if not for your efforts, young Skywalker. And of course you, Jedi Kenobi. As always, your exploits are amazing. And your timing, commendable."

Kenobi nodded. "Thank you, Chancellor, but perhaps we should get the mayor some medical attention, and then see about just what happened here."

"Have you called for back up? Or are you the cavalry?" the only surviving guardsmen asked. "I'm sure Panaka and his entourage will be here shortly," Obi-Wan said, pulling a com-link from his belt. He keyed Panaka's frequency.

"Captain?"

A burst of static screeched, and then a muffled voice returned.

"--alace under attack! Caught off -->> .. from the inside! Can't reach the Queen! Must conta--"

Again, the transmission cut off prematurely.

"It was a diversion!" Kenobi hissed, realizing what was happening immediately.

"No," Anakin breathed. "No."

As fast as his mentor had reached the cavern, Anakin left it, Force augmented muscles leaping over rocks as tall as houses.

"Anakin - wait!!" Obi-Wan shouted, following.

"Jedi Kenobi!" the guardsmen hollered, grabbing the Jedi's sleeve. "You must stay with the Chancellor. They'll be after him when they realize this group failed."

Obi-Wan studied the young guard's face. Young, but right. His gaze moved to the chancellor, who was watching the rapidly disappearing form of Anakin.

A peculiar look was on Palpatine's visage, his mouth slightly twisted, hateful. His eyes seemed dark as opal, narrow and gazing.

The Chancellor felt the Jedi's eyes on him and returned the stare, pleasant face returned.

"Come," Obi-Wan said after a moment. "We should get out of these caverns."

***

Slowly, painfully, Amidala came into consciousness.

Her head felt swelled, her side ached, and she felt burns on her forearms. As her eyes slowly creaked upon, she realized her face was pressed against the cold steel floor. She felt dampness below her, as she was lying on her stomach, arm awkwardly pinned under her chest.

She groaned as she turned over, her body complaining in every possible place it seemed, her vision still ablaze with spots of colors. "She's awake," she heard a voice say, her ears ringing, her hearing muted.

Hands encircled her arms, supporting her as she sat up.

"Easy, now, you've taken quite a fall," the voice said, soothing. She creaked her neck up, feeling something pop painfully, and saw Senator Organa's smiling visage.

He too looked as if he had taken a beating, blood openly flowing from a wound in his forehead, robes dirty and torn.

"W-what... happened?" she asked. Her throat felt burned from the inside. She must have screamed.

"We've been attacked," he answered, eyes trained on something else. "We are still under siege. The first volley struck near us. We were all knocked unconscious. Some were not so lucky."

As she comprehended his words, Amidala registered the sounds of the blasters firing, explosions rocking the palace.

"Where are we?" she asked, sitting up straighter. She could see the puddle of water she had been lying in before, and she could feel her body becoming aware again.

"The lower holds," Organa answered. We must have been carried in here. By them." His finger pointed to a number of black-clad troops, rifles held ready watching him.

"The attack on the Chancellor," she said. "It was a diversion ..."

"To draw the Jedi away, yes," he replied. "More likely a trap though. I'd surmise they're already dead, your highness. Naboo will be taken within the hour, if the reports over their com-links are to be believed."

Amidala forced her eyes shut tight, her sore throat constricting. She felt the tears well under her lids, pooling and then falling down her cheeks.

"Anakin," she breathed, tying to force herself not to sob. "He can't be dead," she murmured. "He can't be..."

Suddenly, the familiar face of Panaka appeared, looming over her.

"Is she all right?" he demanded, voice booming in her head.

"I think so, yes. Perhaps a concussion," the senator said.

"The reserve units are attempting to storm the palace, your highness," he reported.

"They will not succeed, I'm afraid," Organa sighed. "Our only hope is alerting Coruscant."

Not wanting to discuss the options at the moment, Amidala stood up, her whole body screaming in pain. She clenched her jaw tight, though, refusing to cry out.

As she stood straight, colors passed in front of her eyes again and she almost fainted. Biting her lip hard and gritting her teeth, she held onto consciousness by her nails, forcing her mind clear.

"Be careful, you highness," the senator warned. "They don't take kindly to us moving about."

Craning her neck around the room, she saw that the mysterious attackers were everywhere, scores of them moving all around. They had indeed taken the palace.

From the only window in the giant hold, she saw her city. Fires burned openly in many of the building, others ruined completely. Unfamiliar starfighters screamed from the skies above. If she wasn't mistaken, the wail coming from the fighters sounding like ion engines. She knew of no organization who employed ion engines. Too new, experimental.

"He isn't dead," she told herself, lips straining the words out.

Another building exploded just in front of the palace, a fireball lighting the evening sky red.

"He isn't dead," she repeated, tear slipping down her moist face.

***

Naboo was a sieged city.

From every corner and crevice of the once glorious city, smoke trailed into the night sky, all that was left of the fires. The autumn rains had begun to fall again, water cascading across the ruined capital.

As black as the sky, small fighters still patrolled the air, ion engines whining as they searched for any semblance of resistance left.

Wide beams of yellow light slithered over the destruction, search lights to spot any who would try and reach the palace.

In the darkness of Naboo, however, one figure moved through the rubble unseen, avoiding the yellow beams, the fighters above, the patrols of black armored shock troops, the surveillance droids hovering about.

Anakin Skywalker had murder on his mind.

Soaked to the bone from the pounding rain, the young Jedi struggled to control the rage inside his heart. So many dead had he seen, some faces he had recognized in his short stay on Naboo. The invaders hadn't even bothered to clean up the bodies, preferring to let their handiwork be shown openly.

For every face he saw, his heart broke anew as he struggled not to give voice to his fury. The only thing keeping him sane, was that he had not seen her face yet

He had been trying to locate Amidala for the past hour as he slipped through the city, using her com-link as a beacon, but it had proved fruitless. He was sure they were jamming.

He hoped that was the case, at least. If she was dead...

Anakin banished the thought forcefully from his mind. He must maintain focus, clarity. A Jedi could not be true if he gave into his urges, desires. That was the path to the dark side.

A side that seemed to be hovering over Anakin's shoulder. He felt the frigid tongue wash over his spine, whispering ragged things to his mind. Things of revenge, of fury quenched... things that would empower him to defeat his enemies.

Closing his eyes and stopping his run, Anakin began the exercises Obi-Wan had taught him, the ones to help him feel the Force, become in tune with it and himself. Slowly, he felt clarity return, his motives pure once more. He must find Amidala.

Still, though, the sliver of darkness stayed behind him, waiting...

***********

From the principal watchtower on the palace, three of the shock troops surveyed the city, night binocs running over the ruins.

"Any word from Darth Sidious?" the second in command, a red armband on his bicep marking his position asked.

"Not as yet," his commander replied. Slim, and newly graying of hair, General Tarkin was a shrewd looking man, every bit militaristic as he was aristocratic. "I would haphazard to say we won't for some time. Any word from the team sent to dispatch the Jedi?"

"No sir," the adjunct said. "But no one has emerged from the caves either. We think they may have wiped each other out."

"Have you sent a search team in?" Tarkin asked, steel eyes trained on what was left of Naboo.

"No, sir, the storms have intensified rather violently in the forests. My commandoes don't think it's possible to get in the cave at the moment."

"Safe, or possible?"

The officer looked down at his boots. "Well, sir, um, I didn't think it wise to risk our forces for one man --"

"It isn't one man, commander," Tarkin cut him off, voice sharp as his eyes met the younger man's. "It is a Jedi. Obi-Wan Kenobi to be exact, and he is not to be underestimated. Send in your troops and finish whatever they might find."

Tarkin's cold blue eyes bored into his adjunct's, undeniable, predatory.

"Yes, sir," the officer said and hurried to accomplish his orders.

Tarkin turned from the departing commander to watch the storms further pound the city. In the distance, flashes of purple lit the smoky clouds, and thunder rolled from somewhere off the sea.

Some might have peculiar fantasies, but Tarkin's was this. A once proud, mighty people, brought low under his heel. A crushed city before him, arms held wide to beg for him to stop.

The marvelous part of it all was that they didn't know their precious Republic had done it to them. Of course the Republic didn't know it had done this, either. Only, the Sith Sidious, who seemed to be in league with Chancellor Palpatine, knew with him. A handful of men, manipulating billions. That was power.

An interruption in the light below caused Tarkin to break from his speculations, neck craning to see what had crossed the yellow beam.

Bringing the night-vision binocs to his eyes, he focused on the cobblestones leading up to the great steps of the palace.

Nothing. Just the guards, holding vigil.

Smiling dismissively, Tarkin realized the old campaigner in him couldn't quite relax yet. Even if the city was taken, the people defeated, he didn't allow himself to enjoy victory.

Soon enough, though. Soon enough.

***

Under the halogen lamps' glare, a squad of shock troopers kept the main entrance to the palace locked up tight.

Rain glistening of their black helmets and armor, the troops held their blaster rifles ready, almost hoping for some form of resistance it seemed. Naboo had fallen far too easily for their tastes, and no response from what militia there was had come. Guard duty was not what they came here for.

"TZ-115, report," the commanding officer said over his com-link.

"All sections secure, sir. No sign of anything at all, actually. All prisoners have been taken to camps," came the reply from the comm.

"As expected. Maintain position. Post alpha out," he said, cutting the transmission.

Turning to one of the other troops, the officer laughed harshly.

"We don't even need to guard this place. The only thing that's getting in here are rats, and I don't think they've got blasters."

The other guard laughed back. "Right now, I'd shoot the rat I'm so bored."

The officer chuckled at that. "Think you could hit it? Took you three or four to nail that palace guard this afternoon."

"He got lucky. I had an eyelash in my eye--"

A sound interrupted their conversation, like a rock striking the cobblestones in front of the stairway.

The shock troops all leveled their blasters at the source of the sound, instantly aware and sharp.

"What the hell was that?" the trooper who had been talking before said.

Unnerved, they swiped one of the search lights across the scene, yellow bathing the courtyard. All they saw, though, was rubble, and a rat.

"I don't think he's got a blaster," one of the other troopers snickered, lowering his gun as the others laughed.

"Well, Jushch? Here's your chance to redeem yourself," the officer cracked. "Take out the invading rat."

Jushch shrugged and aimed his rifle. "One toasted rat comin' up ..."

Blazing through the black night, a beam of blue white appeared, halving Jushch instantly.

"What the--" the officer started, before the blade tore through his midsection as well, cutting his scream off.

Like quicksilver, Anakin zig-zagged between the shock troops, cutting them down before they could even fire a shot, saber flaring in its intensity.

Within seconds, the entire squad lay dead, as Anakin shut down his saber. Squatting down beside the officer's top half, he plucked the comlink off of his shoulder harness. Keying it to an open frequency, he listened intently.

"--ction 34 to 50 secure, clean sweep. Omicron post reports more survivors. Presently being interned--"

Impatient for more information, Anakin slipped in the door, hugging the wall and avoiding the guards inside, and the cameras.

Hiding behind one of the towering stone columns in the monstrous palace lobby, he finally heard what he needed.

"-- section 12 secure. The Queen and dignitaries are awaiting internment --"

"Belay that order, RT-450," another voice cut in. "All Republic officials and Naboo officials are to await execution, upon Darth Sidious's arrival."

Anakin hissed under his breath. She was alive, but only for a short amount of time. Until this mysterious Sidious arrived.

The word Darth caught in his mind. Where had he heard it before?

His studies, he realized. His Jedi studies. Darth was the prefix title used by Sith Lords. So, Master Yoda was right. The Sith Obi-Wan had killed all those years ago wasn't alone. He was here. And behind this.

Fighting off a fresh surge of fear, Anakin steadied himself. Sith or no, no one was harming Amidala. He would go through their entire army if need be.

Staying to the darkened parts of the lobby, Anakin moved through the shadows, making his way to the lower holds.

***

Palpatine seethed under his restraint.

As he and the others stepped out into the rain, Obi-Wan Kenobi stood over the remnants of an entire squad of commandos.

Commander Wenshel's squad, he realized. One of the best. Yet they lay there dead and dying as the Jedi stood there, calm as a priest.

Damnable Jedi. So easy to underestimate, it seemed. This one in particular. Against all odds, Kenobi had stuck down his apprentice Darth Maul, and now he had wiped out two of the Republic's best commando teams.

Worst of all, he had figured out the mystery.

"These are Republic soldiers," the Jedi Knight said gravely, eyes trained on Palpatine.

"That can't be," the Chancellor said, affecting the proper shock and denial.

"There is no doubt, Chancellor. I know this man. He is Captain Tosh Wenshel. I would very much like to know why it is that I have had to strike him down."

The Jedi stared hard at Palpatine. Beneath his long brown hair and trim beard, suspicion oozed from Kenobi.

Palpatine strengthened the veil he had cast about himself. This was a powerful Jedi, he realized. He must be wary.

"Wenshel? I knew Captain Wenshel as well, Jedi Kenobi. He would not do this, I am sure of it."

"Oh? Come see, then," he replied, leading Palpatine over to the Captain's body.

Wenshel lay there, eyes staring at nothing. The fool probably didn't even get a shot off.

"My goodness," the Chancellor murmured. "What could the meaning be of this?"

Kenobi continued staring at Palpatine. The cool blue eyes were sharp. Too sharp. Realizing that there might be a conflict, Palpatine readied himself. He could defeat this Jedi, but it would a daunting task.

Kenobi's eyes dropped from the Chancellor, dismissive. "I don't know. We may be dealing with a mutiny, I fear."

"From who?" the mayor said, limping over. "And why Naboo?"

The Jedi shook his head. "I don't believe it's the planet, mayor, but what is on the planet. Some of the Republic's most vital personages. The Chancellor, senator Mon Mothma, Senator Organa, Senator Tyrell, the Queen... this was a prime opportunity. We should have seen this coming, I suppose."

Obi-Wan's face was bitter, jaw tight.

"Don't be hard on yourself, Jedi Kenobi. No one saw this coming. We don't even know who is behind it."

The Jedi nodded, but obviously didn't agree. He studied the surrounding, formulating a plan, it seemed.

"You," he called to the young Royal guardsman. "Take the mayor and the Chancellor to some haven. Try and locate the Gungans if you must."

"Where are you going?" the mayor demanded, incredulous.

"The city. I must help Anakin."

"No, you must help us contact Coruscant, the Jedi Council if we must," the mayor said. "The city is taken. Nothing can be done. We have the Chancellor, obviously their main target. If we escape, we win."

Kenobi gritted his teeth. He clearly wanted desperately to go after his Padawan. "There are hidden transports in the forests, sir," the guardsman said. "After the Federation occupation some years ago, we prepared them as a contingency."

Palpatine watched the Jedi's internal debate. He hoped Kenobi would indeed go after his apprentice. That would leave him to deal with the young boy and the moronic mayor. And rid him of one more Jedi.

"All right," the Jedi said at last. "We must hurry."

Palpatine followed the rest as they traveled further into the forest, where the rains intensified.

Unfortunately he wasn't rid of Obi-Wan Kenobi yet, but it mattered little. He was rid of all who would oppose him in the senate, and the Queen, as well as one Jedi. One more brick in the wall he would build that was his empire.

*******************

Amidala felt a hollow ache in her chest where her heart had been. So many dead. So much ruined.

Under the swath of searchlights racing through the city, she traced a procession of refugees being led to an internment camp. Dozens of beaten and broken people, stumbling to their prison.

At the back of the line, a young girl fell behind, her leg obviously hurt, perhaps even broken. Nonetheless, the shock troop gave her a vicious shove, sending her careening into the ground, crying out in pain.

Even as she struck the asphalt, the guard snatched her up by her frail arm and tossed her back into the line. The girl maintained her balance somehow, whimpering silently it seemed.

She probably had invoked her Queen's name. Amidala had been told by countless people how much of an inspiration to them she was, especially women. They had looked to her to lead and protect them. Now, Naboo was destroyed.

How had she failed so miserably?

The doors at the other end of the hold opened, a cavalcade of shock troops marching in, leather boots clacking on the tile in perfect unison.

At the head, an officer led them, eyes searching the room.

An officer she recognized.

Amidala turned to senator Organa, suspicious. He was already looking at her.

"Yes, your highness. It is none other than Republic Colonel Rothven. From Alderaan, no less." Beneath his calm words, she could feel the heat seething in the gentle man.

"What does that mean, senator?" she asked. "Has there been a mutiny? The senate overthrown?"

Organa shook his head, eyes trained on Rothven.

"I can't be sure, of course. I believe there is much more than we can ascertain going on here. Much more."

From behind, guards appeared, gripping the queen and the senator by the arms, forcing them forward.

Amidala knew better than to struggle. She let herself be led toward Rothven, as the other dignitaries were also herded forward.

Rothven fixed his gaze upon one of the shock troopers, the commanding one apparently.

"No word from Lord Sidious. The General has ordered their executions," he pronounced.

"You can't do this!" Senator Tyrell, a tall, balding man from Corellia, shouted. "The entire Republic will hunt you down and destroy you!"

Rothven sneered at the senator, then made a sly smile. "My dear Senator Tyrell, we are the Republic."

The others grew silent, from shock, fear, or perhaps contemplation. Amidala, however, grew furious.

"Who is behind this? Who would dare? Answer me, I demand it!" she said, voice quiet but tone murderous.

"Your royal antics will not affect me, your majesty. I know you are nothing more than a dolled up brat. Soon to be a deceased one, I might add."

"Do you think the Jedi will stand for this? That they won't avenge Naboo? You may have blackened the senate, Rothven, but you won't corrupt the Jedi." She stared into his eyes, measuring him. All she saw was hate and scorn. He was underestimating her.

"You are quite right, little girl. We won't. We'll just wipe them out."

The colonel turned to his nearest officer. "Take them to a public place, where the populace can see them, then shoot them. That will discourage any rebellion, I should think."

Organa's ice blue eyes were narrow as he glared at Rothven. "Cut us down if you like, colonel, but I tell you this. Rebellion isn't in the hearts of the leaders. It is in the heart of the common man and woman. Whatever this ... empire is you are trying to build, I swear to you, the people of the galaxy will rebel."

Rothven sneered again. "I'm sure."

With that, he waved his hand to the guards.

As Amidala and the rest were being herded away, she saw an adjunct move up beside Rothven.

"Sir, we've just found Alpha team. They've been wiped out."

"By what?" the colonel snapped, unbelieving.

"We don't know sir. They were mostly cut in half. The wounds were cauterized already."

"Lightsaber. The damn Jedi. Kenobi must have come back." Rothven hissed a curse. "Double the guard, and increase surveillance droids. Find him and kill him."

Before the adjunct could reply, the wall exploded.

A scream of steel against steel as the now ruined wall screeched across the floor pierced Amidala's ears.

Sparks ignited from where the wall had been cut open, and fires flared from the bulkhead.

The next minute or two were jumbles of confusion to the queen, blasters firing, explosions rocking the room, men screaming.

One of the blasters struck a sensitive power coupling, causing another eruptions, sending Amidala crashing to the floor. Beside her, Colonel Rothven had kept his footing and was shouting orders.

That's when she saw him.

Moving through the ranks of the shock troopers, Anakin was a tan colored blur, so fast she could barely make out his face. His lightsaber was flashing in his hands, deflecting dozens of blasts as he pounced from one trooper to another.

Amidst the confusion of the Jedi's arrival, senator Organa took his opportunity. With more speed than most men his age could muster, the senator tackled the nearest trooper.

Grabbing the guard's head and smashing it hard into the ground, Organa bounced back up with the blaster rifle. Displaying remarkable aim, he fired a trio of blasts into the enemy's position, dropping several troopers.

Soon Panaka had followed suit and procured a blaster, covering Anakin as he cut down trooper after trooper.

Amidala rushed to get to her feet, but Rothven was there already. Grabbing her by the waist and yanking her to him, the colonel held his blaster out, tracking Anakin. "I hesitate to believe he will deflect this with you here, my dear," he snarled.

He had underestimated her once again, though. Jabbing her elbow hard into his stomach, Amidala then wrapped both her arms around Rothven's head and flipped him over her shoulder. As he crashed into the ground with a thud, she brought the blaster, which she had snatched from his hand, and slammed the butt of the handle across his skull. He shivered, then lay still.

Meanwhile, Anakin was not to be denied. He flipped over two more shock troops, and while still turning in the air, caught both across the midsection with his saber.

Upon landing, he was met with more blaster fire. With elegant parries, Anakin sent the bolts back to their senders, with fatal results.

Between Anakin's surge and Panaka and Organa's barrage, the troops were on the ropes, those surviving attempting to flee.

Anakin turned to the senator. "Make for the hangar bay, report back to Coruscant!" he shouted.

"It will be guarded," Organa replied.

"I've taken care of that, too," the Jedi said, finishing off one of the last troopers.

Not arguing, Organa nodded and, along with the other handful of dignitaries, raced for the hangar bay.

Amidala felt her heart, so many times broken it seemed, suffuse with life again. Anakin stood there, saber blazing with righteous fury, every bit the hero. Alive and beautiful. She loved him, she realized. Perhaps she wouldn't allow herself to believe it before, but now she knew. He was everything, all she had ever wanted. From the time when she was a child and dreamed of the man she might one day meet, conjuring up all sorts of characteristics... and he fulfilled them all. He was the promise delivered.

Smiling, she moved towards him. Panaka stood beside him, debating something. Before she got too far, however, she felt a shadow loom over her, caught the scent of leather.

As she turned she saw black. Pure black. Eyes the color of the sun, immersed in black.

Then she felt something strike the back of her head. All went dark.

*******************

"There is no resistance," the young palace guardsmen remarked, astonished.

Obi-Wan shared the youth's shock. Every capital ship orbiting Naboo was in the same position. Tight formation, no fighter escorts, as drop ships made their ways to the mother ships.

"They're leaving," he realized. "They're already in jump formation."

"That doesn't make any sense," Palpatine said, standing behind Obi-Wan as he piloted the small ship.

"I concur," the Jedi murmured. "However, they must be doing it for a reason."

"What could it be?" the guardsmen, whose name Obi-Wan hadn't learned yet asked.

"I can only guess," Kenobi said. "I believe, though, that this is due to the fact that sooner or later, the Republic will have ships here to investigate."

"But those are Republic ships," the Mayor, freshly bandaged said.

"Yes. But pirated, or perhaps being used without Coruscant knowing about it. This is no mutiny. It's manipulation from the inside," Obi-Wan said.

"That is purely a guess, though, Jedi Kenobi?" Palpatine asked, eyes trained on the Jedi.

Obi-Wan didn't like the way the Chancellor's voice sounded. Come to think of it, he realized, he didn't like anything about the Chancellor now that he had spent some time with him. Something was there that was wrong. Something on the inside. Palpatine was lying about something. Obi-Wan just couldn't tell what.

There was no time to give it any more thought, however. Time was short enough already.

"We'd better make the jump to lightspeed. We need to reach Coruscant before they do. And we need to leave before they see us. If they know that any witnesses survived, we would be in considerable trouble, I should think."

The guardsman swallowed hard. "So ... you think the queen is ..."

Kenobi nodded sadly. "Most likely, yes. Or they wouldn't leave. As are the other dignitaries, I assume."

Obi-Wan put his hand on the young man's shoulder, squeezing reassuringly.

"We can only grieve now, my friend. Later, when the time is right, we may avenge this wrong."

As he spoke the words, Obi-Wan felt the anger and sorrow in his heart as well. If the queen was dead, than most likely, Anakin was dead. His Padawan, his friend.

Yet, he had felt no disturbance in the Force. Not like the soul-ripping cry he felt when Qui-Gon had been struck down. Perhaps Anakin yet lived. Then again, perhaps all the suffering on Naboo overloaded his senses. He couldn't be sure.

One way or another, someone would pay.

*******************

Anakin stared at the monstrosity in front of him, fear and shock all he could register. Standing at least two meters tall, the newcomer was a swath of pitch-black robes, the long cloak he wore billowing in the breeze that had come from the shattered windows. His face was completely obscured by a large black hood, but two shining, malicious-looking yellow eyes stared at him. At the center of the narrow eyes, pinprick dots of black were the creature's iris.

What concerned Anakin more than his daunting physical appearance, though, was the fact that in his left hand, the creature held Amidala's limp form, her arms hanging to the side, eyes closed.

Panaka stepped forward immediately, blaster ready. Anakin held out his arm in front of the captain, arresting his progress.

Looking at Panaka, the young Jedi shook his head.

Across the room, the black-clad creature outstretched a thick, gauntleted hand. The forefinger creaked from the fist, pointing at Anakin.

"Jedi." Its voice was creaky, like wood branches being broken, or needles cutting into tough fabric. One inhumanly long tongue slithered from its maw, showing needle sharp teeth. The sinewy tongue snaked out, a dark colored green, moving over its mouth like a rancor awaiting a meal.

Anakin was young. He understood that. He had seen little. He knew a Sith when he saw one, though. And he knew what that meant.

Shrugging off his robe, letting the brown garment fall to his feet, Anakin ignited his lightsaber again. He felt his heart pound twice as fast, his blood pumping hot, and his stomach seemed to be queasy.

The Sith slowly placed Amidala's unconscious body on the ground, then slipped off its own cloak. Atop black robes, a blood red shoulder harness was strung across its wide chest. Anakin realized it hadn't been wearing a hood, but a black headdress of some sort, the cloth coming down the sides of its face, keeping only the eyes visible. The tail of the headdress hung down behind it, to its back.

From within its tunic, the creature produced a black and gray handled lightsaber. Activating the weapon, a brilliant crimson blade hissed to life.

"Leave," Anakin whispered to Panaka. "Now."

"I can't abandon the Queen," the Captain stated, eyes still trained on the Sith.

"Leave, or we all die here. Prepare the ship and take off. Do not wait. If the Queen and I don't follow ... we are dead."

Panaka seemed to want to argue further, but understood what was happening.

"Luck to you, Jedi Skywalker," he said, heading for the hangar bay.

Anakin didn't watch him leave. He stared into the Sith's eyes. Small black pupils full of hate. How did the creature react to Anakin's blue eyes, he wondered.

The preliminaries over, the Sith moved towards Anakin.

Deciding that he needed to take the offensive immediately, Anakin launched himself into a flip, landing in front of the Sith.

Arms moving as fast as he could force them, Anakin unleashed a furious volley of strikes, his saber crashing into the Sith's saber. Sparks flew from the blades as the humming from the weapons intensified, and the howl of them striking together echoed from the hold's walls.

Anakin pushed into the Sith, trying to barrel through the creature's defense. From its boots to its head, Anakin leveled a blow at every part of its body, driving it back. Yet none of the strikes landed home.

In a blur of black, the Sith leaped over Anakin, body twisting in mid-air. It landed a few feet back, giving itself some space.

It paused for a moment, and Anakin was sure it was smiling. It had taken his measure and found him wanting.

Taking its turn now, the Sith charged Anakin, red saber pounding into the young Jedi's defense, peppering his saber. Blue and red shards of energy hissed off the blades, lighting the attacker's visage momentarily. Anakin only made out those eyes, and the fangs. Its breath smelled of pepper almost, spice.

From somewhere unseen in the Sith's attack, a black boot slipped into Anakin's defense, catching his chin and snapping his neck back.

Anakin slid across the floor, smashing into a nearby wall.

Playing with its prey, the creature didn't press its attack, instead walking languidly towards the downed Jedi.

Anakin leapt to his feet. He felt the fear pounding in his chest, the sweat on his brow cold. He was no match for this beast.

Seeing Amidala's body in a heap on the floor, though, he realized he had no choice. He had to find a way to defeat the Sith, or they both would die.

With no other option presenting itself, Anakin again rushed the Sith, trading blows of the lightsaber.

Easily blocking Anakin's sloppy strike, the tongue slipped out again, and this time he definitely saw the smile.

Twisted, evil, and demented. Powerful.

The battle raged anew, as the Sith pushed back into Anakin.

*******************

Dusk on Coruscant was a smear of colors, the red and orange of the setting sun lighting what clouds hovered above on fire. Amidst the inferno-like horizon, the countless spires that made up the city-planet's skyline began to light up, as the continuous flow of traffic buzzed through the airways.

One structure in particular stood out among the sea of techno-brilliance. Standing taller than any other tower, building, or complex in the vicinity, its pointed zeniths boasted thin beams of white light into the sky, piercing the red mist of the dusk that had settled on the land.

The Jedi Council.

The influx of traffic and porting ships was noticeably less at the temple, despite its dominance of the scene. If anything, the multitudes of ships seemed to avoid the council.

At the apex of the great structure, only one room occupied the tower. From that room, however, perhaps the most important decisions in the universe were made. Some on Coruscant would say that the importance of that one room, and its twelve seats, dwarfed the Galactic Senate and its monstrous chamber.

Inside the council's chamber room, only two figures stood this night. One, tall and powerfully built in his robes, a man of dark complexion with a shaved skull and a grim visage. The other, much shorter, a gnomish creature, with long ears that came to a point, and neatly trimmed gray hair along his tiny head. Despite their physical disparity, Mace Windu and Yoda were the chairmen of the Jedi council, of similar mindset on most things.

"Felt it, you did," Yoda said, the first words spoken between the two, even though they had stood overlooking the city for over an hour.

"Yes. But vaguely. Any reports?" the taller Jedi Master inquired.

Yoda shook his head, bulbous eyes closing slowly.

"No word from Obi-Wan have we received, though," the diminutive creature added. "A connection, I think."

"Naboo..." Mace said, voice trailing off as he thought aloud. "The Chancellor and the senate committee of oversight is there, correct? Viewing the Gungan caves before they confer with Queen Amidala about the new trade agreement?"

"Know the specifics, I do not," Yoda replied. "There, the chancellor and committee are, though. There, the disturbance is."

Mace's brow contorted in a heavy furrow, one hand coming to his chin.

"Have any communications been attempted?"

"If problems there were, Obi-Wan would have contacted us. Unless prevented from doing so, he was."

The human Jedi Master nodded again, thoughtful.

"So, either the situation is so severe on Naboo that Obi-Wan could not contact us, or there is no situation and he doesn't feel compelled to call."

"There, the disturbance is." There was no trace of doubt in the old Jedi's voice.

"We'd best contact the senate," Mace said.

"Be wary, Mace. Unforeseen, is this." Yoda's expression turned dire. "From the inside, do I feel this evil. Under us, hiding beneath our feet. At our heels does it gnaw, yet show itself, it does not."

Mace adopted a similar expression, realizing the depth of his old friend's words. "Who do we trust then? Who to alert?" he asked.

"Know the answer to that, I do not. But alert we must. Be prepared for repercussions, we also must."

The two Jedi Master took another long look at the dying sun. Already the sky was turning a dark purple, pinprick stars materializing. The inevitable orbit had brought Coruscant's epicenter to its dark side.

"Be wary, we must."

************************************

A shower of sparks crackled by Anakin's head as the Sith's lightsaber burned through the wall.

Barely avoiding the strike, Anakin stumbled back, nearly falling. The Sith's blows were coming faster now, the battle escalating. Still, he got the feeling the creature was only playing with him.

As he backpedaled, the young Jedi raised a clumsy defense, saber held out with one hand. The Sith easily smashed aside the parry, and then lashed out with the back of its fist.

The blow caught Anakin across the temple, knocking him from his feet, sliding across the floor again. He felt his back explode in pain as he crashed into a stack of cargo by the wall.

While the crates tumbled down around him, he felt his shoulder go numb and one of his ribs crack. When he spit, he tasted blood.

Again, the Sith didn't press its advantage. It merely kept its position, lightly hopping on the balls of its feet, leering at its plaything.

Pushing one of the heavy steel boxes off of him, Anakin re-ignited his saber, shakily rising to his feet. Apparently not fast enough for the creature's desires, though.

With a sharp fling of its long arm, the Sith heaved its lightsaber along the ground, the red blade striking the floor in a skip. As it bounced off of the floor, moving incredibly fast, the point came around at Anakin, looking to impale him.

Wrenching his leg muscles, he threw his body into a leap, legs tucking under him as he did so. He let his motion carry over into a somersault, clearing the destruction caused by the saber spearing the crates.

Anakin landed and immediately charged the Sith, who was weaponless. Taking several quick strikes at its head, all of which were effortlessly avoided, he tried to roll around his opponent, catch him from the back.

He was rewarded for his effort with kick to the gut, followed up by another boot, which snapped Anakin's head back and flipped him over.

Rolling over as he clutched his aching chest, he readied his saber to deflect further attack.

The Sith, however, had strode lackadaisically over to retrieve his own lightsaber. Snatching up the deactivated hilt and twirling it in his hand, the tongue forked out, slithering about.

Some sort of laugh emerged from its throat, a harsh, grating noise. Almost wheezing, like burned lungs.

As it sauntered across the expansive hold, it stepped over Amidala, who still lay prone on the floor. The Sith bent down over the queen, fingers prodding her shoulder roughly. Again, the grotesque smile showed through the headdress's shadow as it toyed with her.

Igniting with the telltale screeching hiss, the brilliant red-white blade blazed only inches from her slender neck.

"Leave her be, creature," Anakin bit out, breathing still labored. "You've yet to deal with me."

Standing erect again, the Sith shook its head, dismissive. It viewed no challenge in Anakin.

"Come deal with me, Sith," Anakin repeated his challenge, trying to draw it away from Amidala.

Even as he spat the words out, a black flash rushed him, blood-colored saber screaming at him.

Anakin fell back behind the onslaught, blocking the strikes only just, arms feeling the pounding.

Brushing aside Anakin's saber, the Sith brought its blade across his stomach, only marginally, searing cloth and flesh.

As the Jedi screamed in pain as he felt his flesh burned away, the creature grabbed a handful of Anakin's tunic and rammed him against the nearby window, shattering the thick glass.

Anakin felt the downpour immediately soak him as the storm from outside met him. Slippery with water and blood, Anakin barely managed to grab a handhold on the stone ledge to prevent his fall.

Below his dangling feet, the ruins of Naboo awaited, some distance away. Too far to survive, he realized.

Taxing his already sore muscles, Anakin pulled himself up, falling back into the giant room, some shards of glass cutting into his skin as he did.

The wheezing cackle greeted him again, only feet away. The Sith stood across from him, laughing at the bloodied Jedi.

From deep inside his chest, Anakin felt a rage. This thing had been toying with him, slapping him about like a child and laughing at him. Casually toying with the life of the woman he loved. Then taunting him further.

Anakin Skywalker was no child.

Roaring with his teeth gritting together, Anakin leapt at the Sith, his fury giving him speed again.

The blue-white blade came up in an uppercut strike, pounding into the Sith's blade. As Anakin leveled five more similar blows, all coming impossibly fast, the Sith's expression and demeanor went from playful to deadly serious. The Jedi was finally testing him.

As Anakin managed to push the creature back with a crazed combination of lightning quick thrusts, the Sith decided it was time to end this.

Twisting its body in a mid-air roll, the Sith spun around Anakin, its back to the Jedi momentarily. As it landed, it struck out with its saber behind it, blade pointed for the heart.

Only the target was no longer there.

Anticipating his enemy's move, Anakin had backflipped while the Sith rolled. As the red saber jabbed at the empty air, the blue blade seared across the villain's crimson breast plate and shoulder harness.

A sound like shrieking came from the creature and its burned metal as Anakin's saber cut through steel and flesh.

The Sith staggered back, blood leaking from the still steaming wound in its chest. Realizing that it had been dealt a solid blow, the Sith screamed its rage.

Launching itself at Anakin, the creature continued its bellow as it heaved monstrous blows at him, saber crashing down like an anvil.

The brute strength of the Sith was ill advised against Anakin's resurging speed, however. Instead of parrying the mighty strikes, the young Padawan decked and dodged, body moving fluidly to avoid the sloppy attack.

Spinning on its heel, the Sith tried a diagonal strike, attempting to cut its foe from shoulder to crotch. Anakin leapt over the thrust, though, and pinned the Sith's blade to the floor with his own.

As his blade held his opponent's down, Anakin used the lightsaber as a pole almost, vaulting both of his legs in a powerful double kick. He felt his boot soles stomp into the creature's face, blood exploding around his feet.

This time the Sith went down, the kick carrying him into the air and then careening into the wall. With a sickening thud, it smashed hard into the stone.

Anakin stayed in a defensive stance, bouncing on his heels, letting the Sith get up. He had taken control of the fight now, and wanted to set the pace.

The Sith stood shakily, outstretched hand calling its saber home. It wasn't laughing anymore, just bleeding.

It inclined its head then, almost bowing.

Was it surrendering, he wondered, doubting the idea immediately. True, Anakin had dealt him some serious blows, but the fight was far from over.

As he pondered its next move, the Sith darted to its right, to where Amidala lay. Scooping the still unconscious queen up in one arm, the tongue shot out, blood glistening on it.

The Sith screeched a cackle, then leapt out the window.

"No!" Anakin shouted, racing after it. As he leaned over the ruined window, he saw the barely visible form of the Sith land on a nearby rooftop, then pounce to another.

As it came to another roof, it turned to look at Anakin.

It expected him to follow, he was sure. The fight was back to its terms.

Lacking any other choice, Anakin leapt out the shattered window, dropping stories below to the next rooftop. While the black-clad Sith was mostly invisible in the rainy night, Amidala's white gown stood out.

Moving through the destroyed city, Anakin sped after the Sith, leaping from building to building.

As he followed, he realized that the chase was heading for the river. The Sith would go where it knew. Somewhere it had the advantage.

Knowing that he was helpless to stop it, Anakin increased his pace, heedless of the pain in his body.

*******************

Palpatine sat in the plush sofa chair aboard the Naboo transport, staring into the blur of white and purple dash marks that were the stars.

The ship had been moving at lightspeed for some time already and would shortly arrive in Coruscant. He must prepare.

The Jedi would be occupied readying himself to report to his superiors in the Jedi Council, advising on the state of Naboo. Palpatine wondered if Kenobi knew just how much damage his forces had done. With Tarkin's penchant for over-doing it, he doubted whether or not anything still lived in that city.

There was of course, his apprentice to make sure that what did survive, wouldn't for long.

Closing his eyes and focusing his mind, Palpatine stretched out his abilities, feeling the dark tendrils he had extended to every corner of the galaxy he had touched. He need only make the initial contact, and the Force would allow him to see what there was to survey. The Dark side had none of the limitations of the weak, wasteful, and idiotically pious brand of power the Jedi professed to covet. If Palpatine desired knowledge, it was his.

The first impression he received was water. Water everywhere. The storms on Naboo must have increased.

He felt his apprentice immersed in the cold liquid. He also felt the wound in the shoulder. Something had struck him.

The Jedi Padawan. Skywalker.

Cursing, effectively breaking his contact, Palpatine slammed his fist down on the nearby table.

How had that mere child survived? Tarkin had hundreds of expertly trained troops at his disposal, countless forms of surveillance, squads of those prototype TIE fighters... the Jedi still living was completely unacceptable.

Worse yet, he had fought Palpatine's apprentice to a standstill it seemed, wounding him badly. His apprentice should have no trouble dealing with a fledgling Jedi, as his training was extensive and unmatched.

Yet he had thought the same when he had sent Darth Maul to Naboo. Only Kenobi came back from that battle. He did not have time to train another apprentice. The time was ripe for him to make his move. He was the chancellor, and now the senators who could oppose him lay dead on Naboo.

First he must deal with the Jedi Padawan. If he must aid his apprentice, so be it. Palpatine re-focused his power again, connecting to the Dark side, mind traveling millions of miles away.

***************************

It was nearly a forty-foot drop from the top of the ruined dam to the lower workstations. He hadn't even seen the Sith make the jump, but Anakin was sure he had come this way.

Visibility was almost negligible in the pounding storm. Rain pelted like stones, barreling down from the raging sky. He was soaked to the bone, tunic plastered to his frigid skin, streams of water running down his face and eyes.

The Sith was incredibly fast, particularly when hopping. In less than a half an hour, it had crossed the city, moving from ruined roof to ruined roof, until it reached the dam.

Yesterday, the Khalla Dam was a mighty structure, its gray, ultra-tech design one of the prouder moments of Naboo's scientists. It simultaneously functioned as a high level levee for the sea during flood seasons, and as a hydraulic plant, responsible for over half of the city's power.

From the combination of the bombings and the storm reaching catastrophic levels, though, the Khalla had cracked, a long tear of steel and monofilament wire down the center of its wall. Gallons of overflow from the turbulent sea gushed through the narrow crack, flowing into the plant's workstations and the landing strip next to it.

Already, the strip was completely underwater, and the insides of the plant were rapidly flooding. Flashes of electrical surges and power couplings burning out as the tides swept in could be seen through the windows. The momentary flares of electricity were but pale imitations of the violent lances of lightning cutting through the sky.

Purple and white in their intensity, the raging bolts were striking almost constantly, bloated clouds that were hidden in dark obscurity flashing to life for brief moments.

While the wind howled at his back, Anakin studied the scene below him. Somewhere, inside the rapidly flooding plant, the Sith waited, Amidala helpless in its clutches.

Once again, he had no other choice, destiny shaping around him, conspiring.

Quelling his fears, his exhaustion, Anakin leapt from the dam, gusting wind ripping at his face and clothes as he plummeted for the dark water below.

He wrapped his legs in the cocoon of the Force, augmenting his ability for absorbing the shock. As he all too quickly sped towards the flooded landing strip, Anakin tucked his knees in, fortifying his ankles.

As it turned out, he needn't have worries so much. The water was considerably much deeper than he had perceived at first glance. As he stuck the cold surface, he sank a good six feet before he felt his boots strike the strip's concrete.

Staying under the swell, Anakin swam for the door to the plant's workstations. The way was well lit, as many of the control panels and surveillance lights remained on, blue, yellow and red blips still functioning.

Brushing aside two useless worker droids that had sunk to the bottom of the strip, he keyed the door open.

Bubbles hissing towards the surface as the compressor activated the door, the thick steel hatch only opened marginally.

Unaffected, Anakin glided through the narrow space, arms stroking out in front of him.

With a powerful push of his legs, he jetted back to the surface, lungs taking in the stale oxygen.

The water was only waist deep so far in the corridor, but it would be rising fast now that the door had been opened.

The entire hallway was bathed in red light, the emergency power on. From somewhere deeper in the plant's heart, klaxons still blared. Whether they were for the siege that had already ended, or for the impending collapse of the Khalla, he didn't know.

Wading his way down the corridor, Anakin couldn't shake the chill that ran up his spine. From the ice-cold water he was soaked in, to the way the emergency lights cast everything in either red or black shadows, to the still-dying electrical units, firing off yellow sparks from the walls... every ounce of his being knew to be wary, to be prepared.

Of course, there was also a Sith waiting for him.

Letting his mind open, flow from wall to wall, Anakin tried to take in everything. The sound of the water softly brushing against the cloth of his tunic, the fizzling crackle of the sparks showering from both walls, the unpleasant smell of filtered and recycled air mixed with leaking oil...

His eyes he couldn't trust, he knew. Too much shadow, too much unseen. He must depend on his other senses, and most of all the Force.

He felt his mind connect finally, in peace, his fear gone. Like a blanket of calm, he immersed himself in the Force, as Obi-Wan had shown him. At times, it could be terribly elusive, but he had a firm grasp now.

That grasp was the only thing that warned him of what was behind him.

His senses screamed in his ears as Anakin let his legs fall from under him, ducking into the water.

As he spun, he saw the red lightsaber, almost imperceptible in the equally red light, sear into the wall where his head had been.

Literally from out of nowhere, the Sith had emerged, towering before him.

Even as the creature's boot connected with his skull, Anakin registered the fact that he no longer had Amidala.

The blow carried him through the water, and he landed with a splash, hand immediately reaching for his saber.

The Sith didn't afford him the luxury of time, however, and pounced as soon as its foe landed.

The water slowed Anakin's movement, but he managed to roll clear of the strike, though the saber caught the back of his tunic.

As the blade struck the water, it fizzled out momentarily. Anakin seized his opportunity. Moving into the creature, he grabbed it by its bicep and by the belt on its waist. With every ounce of strength he could muster, Anakin lifted the Sith in the air, slamming it into the wall painfully.

Faces only inches apart, Anakin could feel the hot, almost spice-like breath of the Sith on him. Under the murky red emergency lights, its yellow eyes shone preternaturally, black pupils diamond shaped.

Snarling, it displayed two rows of human looking teeth, save for the fact that its incisors were razor sharp, and the reptilian tongue that snaked out was nothing if not alien.

Recovering from the impact quickly, the Sith reasserted its advantage, easily stronger than Anakin. Throwing off the Jedi's grip, it brought a gauntleted fist up, and struck the smaller man.

The powerful blow knocked Anakin back, staggering. As he struggled to maintain his balance, he felt his foot slip off a ledge of some sort.

Crying out in surprise, he tumbled down some form of makeshift waterfall, back striking the floor painfully.

As he slid out of control, he realized he was falling down some staircase covered in water. Soon he was plummeting in a zig-zag, turning corners so fast, everything was a blur in red light.

After long moments of tumbling, bearings completely lost, Anakin felt the surface disappear under him.

He continued falling, however.

There was a brief succession of water and of sound. For perhaps one long second, Anakin floated in the air, free from earth or water.

Then, water enveloped him again.

***********************

"I don't recall phrasing it as a request, commander," Obi-Wan said, temper beginning to get the better of him.

The fleet officer rolled his eyes, no doubt tired of the Jedi's demands. Obi-Wan couldn't care in the least, however.

"Prepare your flotilla for the jump to lightspeed as soon as I'm aboard," Obi-Wan repeated, steel in his voice.

"Jedi Kenobi, with all due respect," the commander began, voice betraying his true feelings of respect, "I simply cannot take a fleet of Republic battleships and jump to Naboo, simply on one Jedi's order. There are protocols, chains of command, you understand."

"No, commander, I do not. And I have no need to. I tell you, just hours ago, Naboo was sieged and laid waste to. There are definitely survivors, though, and possibly the queen herself is still alive. We must act immediately, however." Obi-Wan stared hard at the surly officer, who seemed to be about to fall asleep.

"You'll need to contact Coruscant, Jedi Kenobi," the commander repeated for the fifth time.

"We don't have the time, dammit!" he swore, temper gone. Jedi or no, he was going to make this fleet take him to Naboo. "One of your cruisers has already begun to escort the Chancellor back to Coruscant. He should have authorized the fleet."

The officer seemed to check his console. "I have no documentation of that, Jedi Kenobi. You'll have to confirm."

Feeling more frustrated than he had in some time, Obi-Wan ran a hand through his long brown hair, exhaling deeply.

"Commander, I've explained to you--"

Another transmission keyed in, interrupting the Jedi.

Senator Bail Organa's face appeared, haggard and tired.

"Commander, this is Senator Bail Organa. I, and a dozen of fellow senators have just set down on Coruscant. I can confirm what Jedi Kenobi has said. As soon as he boards your ship, you are to make best possible speed for Naboo. You will also relinquish command of the fleet to Jedi Kenobi. There will be more forces to back you up on the way."

The commander tried in vain to hide his disappointment, but he nonetheless replied, "Yes, senator, immediately. We await your arrival, Jedi Kenobi."

As the officer cut his end of the transmission, Organa fixed his gaze on Obi-Wan.

"Obi-Wan, your Padawan, Skywalker. He freed us. Captain Panaka said he encountered another enemy before he and Queen Amidala could escape with us, however. He said to tell you it was a Sith. Does that mean anything to you?"

From deep inside his chest, Obi-Wan felt an icy coating spread throughout him. True fear. Something he hadn't felt in some time.

"Yes. Yes, it does. Thank you, Senator," he bit out.

"Godspeed, Kenobi," Organa said, cutting off the transmission.

The moment the screen went dead, Obi-Wan raced for his shuttle, dread coloring his perceptions.

A Sith.

It had to be the second of the two. The first, he himself had killed years ago. This was either its master or apprentice. Either way, Anakin was in terrible danger. The queen as well.

Sending a silent hope that he wasn't already too late, Obi-Wan boarded his shuttle to take him to the Republic cruiser.

**********************

Anakin erupted from the water, head and back arching back, hair thrown back behind him.

The first breath was like ice on burned lungs, and he inhaled ravenously.

It had seemed like an eternity passed as he was carried by the powerful current, trapped under the writhing water.

Finally, he had come to the source, or perhaps the final distributaries of the water. His entire body would be coated in bruises from the various impacts he made while in the grip of the water, but he knew he was fortunate to still be breathing.

Breathe he did. Ragged and hard, but it felt wonderful. As he recollected his oxygen, he struggled to clear his eyes from the swirling spots.

The chamber he was in came into focus. Gone were the red lights, the bleeping yellow console lights. He was in what must have been a storage hold of some sort, for there was an access port to the outside, fortunately still intact, or the sea would have covered the entire structure already.

On both sides of the room, large circular, almost spiral lighting rigs functioned somewhat. Weak, murky white light filtered into glass sheets which, when reflected with the water, turned the room into a dimly lit royal blue.

Anakin noticed that the water was even colder here, his teeth inadvertently chattering and his shoulders shivering. That could only mean this was water fresh from the sea itself.

A thin beam of brighter white light shone from above, a hole ripped in the ceiling. He looked up, and saw lightning flash, a shudder of purple brighten the room briefly. The quick flare of lightning turned his attention to a raised dais at the far end of the room, the only structure still above water.

Laid out like some sacrificial offering to appease whatever deity commanded the storm outside, Amidala's form was directly under the ray of light shining from the hole in the roof. Her entire body was soaked as his was, and her face and lips were pale, but her chest was raising and falling rhythmically. She was alive. Apparently, the Sith decided it wouldn't need her to dispatch him this time, and left her here, where it must have entered the plant.

Sighing in relief as he trudged through the rising water, Anakin made his way over to her. The structure she lay on seemed to be a storage unit of some sort, he noticed. Perhaps there would be some communications equipment in tact. He was pretty sure she would need some medical attention, and well, he could probably use some too. An interruption in the stream of light alerted Anakin.

Dropping from the hole in the ceiling, the mass of black robes flew at the Jedi, red saber igniting as it fell.

Anakin pressed his hands against the long cargo hold Amidala lay on and used it to propel him into a flip, bringing him onto the structure, out of the water.

The Sith landed in the pool, eyes still trained on its opponent.

"Persistent bugger," Anakin said, smiling. He knew it was false bravado, but perhaps it would unnerve his enemy.

Exploding out of the water, the Sith swung at him, saber crashing into Anakin's just ignited saber.

Seeing how close they were to the queen, Anakin backed away from her. The Sith followed, intent only on killing the Jedi now.

There were thick walls on both sides, water all around. No windows. There would be no running this time.

Determined to end this once and for all, Anakin steeled himself. Gathering the Force about him, he let the Sith come at him.

In a matter of seconds, dozens of blows were exchanged, arms and sabers only blurs. The Sith probed every inch of Anakin's defense, face a mask of hatred and insanity.

In contrast, Anakin merely was intense, focusing only on the moment on hand, the living Force, as Obi-Wan had called it. Every blindingly fast strike leveled at him, he met with a equally fast parry.

The space may have been tight, but it didn't seem to matter to the Sith, who was determined to end this. It flipped over Anakin, dodging two of his upward strikes while in the air.

As it landed with its left foot, the right one's heel caught the young Padawan in the chest, knocking him from the dais.

Following the maneuver, the Sith leapt along with Anakin's fall, ready to deliver the final blow.

Anakin was prepared for the fall, however, and as his feet struck the ground below the water, he shot back up, high into the air.

Both of his legs wrapped around the Sith's neck, like a winch. Before it could react, he wrenched his body back down, flipping the creature over.

While it bought him some time, Anakin noticed that it did little damage to the Sith. Roaring an inhuman sound of rage, the Sith flung its saber at Anakin again.

It was a clumsy thrust at best, easily avoided. Whether or not he was the Sith's target, however, Anakin quickly questioned.

The red blade cut into the stone, deep.

Anakin snapped his head to the Sith, who was snarling a smile.

Like thunder from every direction, the wall collapsed, stone screaming as the water raged in.

The surge struck Anakin first, like a physical blow, flinging him to the floor, water like an anvil atop him.

Aswirl in the onslaught, dust, rock, and metal tumbled in the water, like gray clouds underwater.

Anakin fought his way through the debris and tumbling water, hand catching a hold of one of the lighting rigs.

Straining his arms, he pulled his way through the water, coming up for air.

The room was almost covered in the on-rushing sea now, and would soon be completely underwater.

Anakin dragged his body atop the cargo hold, face pressed against the cold stone, chest burning.

Then a sudden realization hit him.

Amidala was gone.

Head swiveling back and forth frantically, Anakin looked for her.

"Amidala!" he screamed, throat grating, so loud was his voice.

"Amidala!" he repeated, panic bursting though him.

The tide must have caught her, pulled her under. In her already weakened state, she wouldn't last long, he knew.

Taking a deep breath, he prepared to dive in and find her.

Then, like a gore-soaked revenant, the Sith struck.

Exploding though stone and striking Anakin's shoulder, the lightsaber hummed, hungry for blood.

Roaring in rage and pain, Anakin jumped back, shoulder cut open and bleeding.

Incensed by the sight of the blood, the Sith pressed into the Jedi, battering aside his defense.

With a vicious blow, the creature knocked Anakin's saber from his grip, the weapon careening into the water.

With no other options, Anakin tackled the Sith at the waist. He lacked the force to topple the tall creature, though, and felt the bottom of its saber pound down on his back.

Collapsing to the ground in pain, Anakin struggled to find breath. With a kick of the boot, the Sith turned him over, foot pressing hard down onto his throat.

Anakin saw the red blade arch up high, ready to finally end this battle.

A blue blaze flew at the Sith, aimed poorly, but thrown forcefully enough to cause the creature to move to the side.

Anakin recognized his saber fly to the side of the Sith, imbedding in the stone wall.

While he and his attacker were distracted, Amidala struck.

Somehow handling one of the lighting rig poles, the queen slammed the makeshift weapon into the Sith's chest, doubling it over. She followed it up with an uppercut of the pole to its head, snapping it erect.

As she battered the Sith, Anakin held out his hand, calling his saber to him. He was still under the Sith's legs, prone.

Recovering from the initial shock of the blows, the creature gestured with his hand, using the Force to plow into Amidala, throwing her against the wall.

Not having enough time to bring his saber into play, Anakin grabbed the Sith's boots and flipped it over, toward the water.

As it fell, however, it grabbed Anakin by the tunic, yanking him with it into the dark waters.

As soon as they plunged under water, the Sith flung Anakin against the rock wall, leveling its saber to cut through him. Under water, however, the activation crystals in the saber would ignite, the weapon useless.

Disgusted, the Sith tossed aside its saber, and locked its grip around Anakin's throat, trying to crush his esophagus.

And it would, he realized. As hard as he tried, he couldn’t match the strength of the Sith's grip.

He felt his chest inflame as he struggled to maintain focus. The skin on his neck was tearing under the grip.

He still gripped his own lightsaber in his hand, but it was absolutely useless underwater. As useless as his kicks were to the Sith. It was going to kill him, heedless of whatever the Jedi could do.

No! Anakin struggled to say. He would not die. Amidala would not die.

Closing his eyes, focusing his will, his power, Anakin stretched the Force out around him and the Sith.

To the water.

The water, which was flowing with the Force, every bit as much in tune as he himself was. Every bit as pliable.

Using everything he had left, Anakin gave the water a supreme push.

For one brief second, the water spread back from he and the Sith, a column of space around them.

Lunging his arms forward, Anakin buried the saber hilt into the Sith's chest. His finger keyed the activation switch.

With a snap-hiss, the blue blade ignited through the Sith's chest.

Cutting off the creature's scream, the water dumped back on to them, pressing them into the floor again.

Anakin pushed the dying creature's hands from his neck, and watched as it floated away, blood mixing with the water as it faded into the darkness.

Arms pushing his way back to the top, Anakin resurfaced. He floated for a moment, drawing precious breath.

He felt two arms wrap around his chest, pulling him up onto the cargo hold.

Cold lips pressed against his cheek and mouth, damp hands holding the sides of his face.

After a few moments of trying to gain his bearings, Anakin brought his arms around her, returning the kiss.

Drawing away from the Jedi, Amidala looked into his eyes, hand tracing the lines of his face.

"That was the worst kiss of my life, Ani," she said, voice barely a whisper, she was so exhausted.

Anakin smiled tiredly. He was beaten, bloodied, half-drowned, freezing and exhausted. He had never been so happy.

"Let me try again, then."
 

--->continue to part 2

-

<<back to episode ii era p/a fanfiction
<<back to p/a fanfiction