IMAGE

Tsum-Tsum T-shirt, by Disney
WALLPAPER

Untitled
by Grant Gould (for StarWars.com)

FAN ART
by master--burglar
by master--burglar
FAN FICTION
Rush
by Love and Rock Music. (TCW) The first half of "Destroy Malevolence," as Anakin and Padmé make their way towards each other.

P/A SITE
The Anakin and Padmé Gallery

CALENDAR
Desktop Calendar // March/April 2015

 

FAN FICTION

-------------------------------------------

Not to be Trusted

by Leia Naberrie

 -------

The importance of the facade to a politician could never be downplayed. The art of being unreadable, of maintaining an external serenity impeachable and un-probe-able by a mind less than a Jedi's, was honed and perfected throughout their careers.

Amidala was a master of that art. Years of hiding behind the masks of the Queen had turned her own face into a blank slate. Joy and sorrow, anger and triumph could rage in her spirit and be hidden in her body. She had the ability to show emotion only when she chose to; and to disguise emotion so well as to be thought cold, indifferent.

Perfectly composed, she awaited the Jedi Masters. The anxiety radiating from her small stature was almost fever-pitched. Kenobi literally braced himself against the impact as he and his Padawan approached her. He observed cynically that Anakin made no effort whatsoever to shield himself from the Senator's emotions. Instead, the Padawan's senses were open, receiving Amidala's emotions, welcoming them. Kenobi noticed the way Anakin seemed to follow Amidala's every motion with his eyes, the way his eyes sought to catch the Senator's eyes and the way, she in turn avoided his eyes. It was not the first time his Padawan had acted so unconventionally towards Amidala. Kenobi was becoming afraid of a very disturbing trend.

"We will be leaving for a meeting with the Council shortly, my Lady. Captain Typho has been left in charge of your security detail. If you follow his instructions, I can assure you that you will be safe."

The barb was intended and it was not missed. There was a definite spike of resentment from Amidala; Kenobi did not flinch. His mandate here was bigger than Amidala's safety. He was also a Jedi Master with a wayward apprentice that just so happened to be the Chosen One of the Jedi. He resented the way Amidala had manipulated Anakin into helping her with her own private agenda and in direct defiance of Anakin's instructions - a fact that she was fully aware of. Anakin's devotion was painfully obvious to even a casual observer. Kenobi had no compunction squashing at it publicly whenever it revealed itself. It was more than merely embarrassing. It was also dangerous. All Jedi had their flaws just as all men had their weaknesses. But unlike Jedi, most men had the luxury of displaying their flaws in the guise of being accepted as fallible creatures. A Jedi could not afford to be regarded as less than invulnerable. A Jedi with an obvious weakness was a beacon to an enemy, looking for any loophole to exploit and attack. And the Jedi had many enemies.

Even now, he could feel an empathic wave of feeling rising in Anakin. He sought out the Senator's eyes again and this time, she did not glance away. A current of empathy, strong and foreboding connected them briefly.

"Good day, My Lady."

Amidala dismissed them without another word. As they passed out of her private chambers, Captain Typho met them at the doorway.

"My Lady, Senator Organa is in the lobby, requesting to see you."

"Of course, send - " Amidala stopped abruptly. Then she looked pointedly at Kenobi.

"He doesn't have a prior appointment, does he?" Kenobi replied. "What did he state as his business?"

"He heard the news of the assassin's attempt last night," Typho replied. "He wants to reassure himself of the Senator's well being."

The Jedi's mind searched for and located the familiar aura of the Alderaanian senator. In the background the usual duplicity of a politician was present but not sinister. In the foreground was anxiety, distress, anger - almost out of proportion to the cause, and a strong devotion that was making him lose composure.

"You may receive him if you choose to, My Lady. My Padawan and I are leaving you in capable hands."

Anakin was still bristling when they entered the lift. He opened his mouth as the doors closed but Kenobi got a word in first.

"I congratulate you, Padawan. You have chosen to challenge me in private and not in public this time."

Anakin's mouth twisted as it struggled between replying the snide remark and retorting what he previously had in mind to say. It chose the latter.

"Padmé has a right to make decisions that affect her own life. She was right to set a trap for the assassin. And she didn't make me do anything. I helped her because I wanted to -"

"When did I ever say -?"

"I heard you. For someone who is always telling me to be mindful of my thoughts - you were literally broadcasting! You have no right to talk to her like that. And we shouldn't be leaving her alone - with anyone - for any length of time."

It was remarkable how Anakin Skywalker could still, after ten years, possess the uncanny ability to amuse and infuriate his master at the same time. Kenobi had coped with this peculiar problem by choosing clinically which emotion he needed to induce in his Padawan at the time. He had observed that expressing one emotion produced the other in his Padawan and vice versa.

"Our directive is to protect Senator Amidala." He spoke with controlled anger. "Even if it means protecting her from herself. I do not doubt the Senator's capability of taking care of herself. However, we have an assignment to do. A remarkably simple one as you have been complaining to me ever since and for that reason, if not any other, it would be inexplicable if we fail."

Kenobi had struck a little too close to home. The emotions he was gleaning from his Padawan now were not amusement but guilt.

"I would never have allowed any harm to come to her," Anakin muttered.

"That was why you used her as bait for an assassin, of course, how obvious your concern must be."

"I never thought of it like that!" He was exclaiming. "I would never have agreed to it if I had. She wanted me to help her. I only wanted to help her."

"Your judgment is severely impaired in matters concerning Senator Amidala. I have told you before how dangerous your thoughts regarding her can be. How vulnerable -"

"Not another -!"

"And she is a politician. You might have placed her on a pedestal but I certainly do not. And if her actions in this matter have been anything to go by, then I think that I am right."

It came so quickly that Kenobi was unprepared. One moment, he stood serenely next to Anakin, staring at the city planet beyond the plasti-glass doors while he lectured his seething apprentice. The next moment, he was being flung backward against the window with such force that for a split-second, he thought the glass would shatter beneath his weight.

"Master Obi-Wan!"

His head had hit the glass sharply. Anakin's cry just managed to keep Kenobi's rein on consciousness. Drawing on the Force, he pulled himself upright and forced his body into equilibrium.

"Master Obi-Wan." His Padawan was frantically tugging at him with his hands and the Force. "Master!"

"I am alright, Anakin. Compose yourself." Kenobi's sharp retort had the desired effect and he felt Anakin's anxiety immediately calm down. The anxiety was real and so was the concern and guilt behind it. And the strong affection with which Anakin's aura brushed against his was also genuine. But so also had been the hot-tempered malice that had risen against Kenobi, the ire that had pushed him against the wall.

"I didn't do it, intentionally," Anakin was saying. "I swear. I just don't know what came over me."

"You lost your temper." Because I attacked Amidala, but that was said in a higher level of consciousness than Jedi telepathy could tap into.

"I - I didn't mean to." The words came out agitatedly.

"You lost your temper last night as well when we were interrogating the changeling," Kenobi pointed out. And for more or less the same reason.

Whatever Anakin would have said in reply was lost. The glass doors had swung open. They stepped into the lobby of the Nubian Embassy and a protocol droid enabled them to secure a public speeder. Soon, they were zooming through the Coruscant traffic, each lost his own thoughts.

It was Anakin that first broke the silence.

"I suppose I should meditate before the Council convenes for our report."

Kenobi gave a longsuffering sigh. "It is not enough to know when to meditate, my young Padawan," he said with some asperity. "It is even more important to know on what to meditate. And on what not to." He did not need to send a Force suggestion about on what not to meditate to Anakin.

Whatever positive effect he had meant to impact was lost. Anakin's aura pulled abruptly away from his and immediately immersed itself in the pseudo-somnolence of Jedi meditation.

Kenobi decided that now was not the best time to remind Anakin - again - of the inappropriateness of a Jedi meditating in public. Well, he decided, this would soon be over. With this last attack on the Nubian Senator, the Council would inevitably instigate an investigation and logically, the assignment would be given to Kenobi and Anakin. His Padawan would be equally pacified and disappointed. The Jedi would focus fully on the investigation and play a distant supervisory role on the details of the Senator's personal security. Anakin and his Master would be given a reprieve from the beautiful Amidala. And Kenobi would then be able to tackle some of his Padawan's issues concerning detachment.

The rest of the journey was completed in silence.

-

<< return to anakin fan fiction