IMAGE

Tsum-Tsum T-shirt, by Disney
WALLPAPER

Untitled
by Grant Gould (for StarWars.com)

FAN ART
by master--burglar
by master--burglar
FAN FICTION
Rush
by Love and Rock Music. (TCW) The first half of "Destroy Malevolence," as Anakin and Padmé make their way towards each other.

P/A SITE
The Anakin and Padmé Gallery

CALENDAR
Desktop Calendar // March/April 2015

 


FAN FICTION

-------------------------------------------

The Heart's Fondest Desire

by MissPadme

-------------------------------------

The transport unloaded its passengers at the village depot. They clambered off carrying bags of gifts and food, and luggage; the Naboo's most important holiday, Festivus, began the day after next and the village's scattered sons and daughters were returning home.

Among them was a young woman dressed in a warm dark emerald-green cloak, her hood drawn up to conceal her face. In one hand she carried a bagful of wrapped packages, in the other she held a small suitcase.

She could have taken a speeder directly to her family home but she decided on this crisp, early winter day to walk there, taking in the sights of the place where she'd lived out her girlhood.

She came upon the village's main square where an ice rink had been set up and was already full of people of all ages skimming across the ice. She walked up to the rink and decided to watch for a while, thinking of perhaps bringing her nieces here sometime during her holiday sojourn. It had been a long while since she had the time to go ice skating; simple pleasures often fell by the wayside for her far too often.

An attractive young couple caught the woman's eye. They seemed to be in their early 20s, he was tall and dark-haired, she a smaller redhead. But the young woman could not help but put herself and another man in their places, laughing as they skated around each other, falling down on occasion and picking each other back up. They finally skated arm-in-arm, oblivious it seemed to everyone else around them.

*If Ani were here, I'd show him how to skate; I doubt he learned how on Tatooine and I don't think it's part of standard Jedi training,* the young woman mused. She grinned at the prospect of her beloved taking his first tenative steps on a sheet of slick ice. Knowing Anakin, he'd want to show right away this was yet another task that would come easily to him but she was certain he'd end up right on his rear end over and over again. But he at least had the good humor to laugh at himself; somehow she had the feeling he only shared that humor with her.

*My poor darling.* Her heart wrapped itself around that place in it where she kept her husband, as though he could feel that embrace from wherever in the universe he happened to be. How she dearly wanted him to be there with her, but it was not possible.

Sighing, the young woman moved on.

She came to the familiar streets leading to the alleyway where her family home waited. She recalled the last time she walked down these old stones, with Anakin at her side. It had been spring then.

Padmé Amidala Naberrie-Skywalker stood at the foot of the stairs leading up to Naberrie home. A cold wind blew down the alleyway, stirring up the dead leaves shed during the autumn season. It chilled her even through the thermal cloak. But the wind also carried the familiar smells forever a part of her memory...right now her mother and probably her sister were baking bread. Her heart full of emotion, Padmé climbed the stairs and knocked on the door.

The door flew open and there, dressed in an apron dusted with flour and smeared with stains was her sister Sola. "Padmé!" she gasped. "You came home!" The sisters embraced tightly, then Sola turned and yelled, "Padmé's here! She's here, everybody!"

Soon, Padmé was surrounded by her mother, her brother-in-law, her nieces Ryoo and Pooja, and her father. "I was afraid you wouldn't be able to come," Jobal Naberrie said.

"The Senate ended its session on time after all and there are no reported hostilities on the route here. There was nothing to keep me from missing Festivus," Padmé said.

"Where's Artoo?" little Ryoo inquired.

Padmé smiled and caressed her niece's round cheek. "I left Artoo on Coruscant to look after some things," she said. *I couldn't very well bring him and leave Threepio all alone,* she thought. Anakin had left his protocol droid in her care while he was gone. And bringing all of the droids with her was unnecessary. Besides she kept Artoo on the lookout for any communications from Anakin.

"Well, let's get you settled in," Ruwee Naberrie said, taking Padmé's bags from her.

"Indeed," Sola said. "We could use some help in the kitchen you know."

"I'll be right there," Padmé said, glad to finally be home.

--------------------------

Padmé should be happy. She was at home, her true home, for Festivus. The air was crisp and chill outside and judging by the thick grey clouds she could see through the windows, there just might be some snowfall. The cozy family home was gaily decorated for the holiday. The dining table at which she now sat was laden with dishes she'd loved since childhood. She was surrounded by those closest to her heart: her mother and father, her sister and her sister's husband, her two darling nieces. After a sumptous feast, they would go into the main parlor and open their gifts, then sing holiday songs as they sipped on warm mugs of steamed cider. Padmé loved Festivus. She was grateful to escape the miasma that had become the political landscape on Coruscant. She was glad to not think of squabbling delegates, Separatists, or war. Everything should be perfect, but it wasn't.

Anakin wasn't with her.

This was the first Festivus since the events of last spring that resulted in a secret marriage with her Jedi protector. All she could think of was how much Anakin would have loved being surrounded by warm and loving family, how she could see him helping to decorate the home, and wrap gifts for the nieces. She could see the two of them--late at night after everyone had gone to bed--cuddling in front of the fireplace, wrapped in one of her mother's hand-knitted blankets. But it was impossible. No one was to know of their marriage, at least not now. Even if they could openly live as husband and wife, with the war raging across the galaxy, Anakin was needed along with the rest of the Jedi to fight for the Republic.

Padmé looked at her surroundings and marvelled at how far away the war seemed. Everything here was so *normal.* It pained her to think her beloved might be huddling cold on a bloody battleground while she was here stuffing herself in a nice warm house. Silently she prayed for the umpteenth time that her Ani was safe.

"More?"

Her mother's voice and a steaming bowl held in front of her face snapped her out of her reverie. "Oh, sure, thanks, Mom," Padmé said, spooning a small portion on her plate.

"That's it?" Jobal Naberrie asked, her eyebrow arched.

"I need to save room for dessert. I'm almost full."

"Better take advantage of your mother's home cooking while you can. I doubt there's anything like this on Coruscant with all of that reconstituted stuff," Ruwee Naberrie said.

"Dad, it's not that bad over there," Padmé laughed. "But even the finest restaurants in the capital don't quite measure up with Mom."

Jobal beamed with pride. "Thank you, dear."

Padmé's sister Sola helped herself to some more roasted shaak before she casually asked, "So how's your friend?"

Padmé looked up, perplexed. "My friend?"

"Yes, the young man you brought here last spring, the Jedi."

"Oh, Anakin." Padmé could feel heat rising in her cheeks. She put on her best Queen Amidala mask and hoped nothing she was about to say would give her away. "I've heard from him occasionally since we parted. He and Master Kenobi are well, but because of secrecy, they cannot tell me where they are or what they are doing. I only know if the message comes from the Jedi Temple itself." *Nothing like the truth to conceal the truth,* she thought.

"He's probably on the front lines with the clonetroopers, isn't he?" Ruwee said. He shook his head. "It's a shame, such a young man exposed to the horrors of war."

Sola said with a reassuring glance at her sister, "He's a Jedi, Dad. I'm sure he is able to take care of himself." She then said to Padmé, "He'll be all right." Understanding shone in Sola's eyes.

*But what does she understand?* Padmé wondered.

------------------------------

Padmé reclined on the parlor sofa, her meal sitting heavily in her stomach, making her slightly drowsy. Night was falling outside and she could swear she was seeing the first flakes of snow drift by the window. Jobal had lit some candles to mask the smells of food and Ruwee was starting a blaze in the fireplace. Little Ryoo and Pooja danced around excitedly, anxious to open their gifts. Padmé looked at her young nieces with wonderment that once she had been as innocent as they, excited about simple things like Festivus presents. That seemed so long ago. At age eight she was helping refugees passing through Naboo. By twelve she was an apprentice legislator and Princess of Theed. Two years later she was Queen.

*I grew up too fast,* she mused. To serve her people she sacrificed her youth. It was a worthwhile price to pay but it left her longing for something else in life.

She found that something else, as imperfect as it was, in Anakin's arms.

Padmé saw her sister Sola and her husband together, happy as they watched their children pick up wrapped packages and shake them to guess what was inside. Sola smiled and whispered something in her husband's ear. They both laughed and then lightly kissed on the lips. It was another poignant reminder of the price she paid to commit herself to Anakin. She missed him that much more. But she also chose to draw hope that one day, she and Ani would spend every holiday season together, watching their own children enjoy it.

Just before she left Coruscant, she'd sent an encoded message to Anakin, letting him know she was going to be at her parents' house for a few days. Force only knew when he'd be able to read it. They'd only been able to rendezvous once since their honeymoon, at her quarters on Coruscant. It was risky to meet there but they could not stay away from one another, especially since they had to grasp for every moment of time they could.

It was at last time to open the gifts. The girls received a bounty of things from their doting parents. They especially loved the educational toys Padmé found for them. The grateful nieces showered their aunt with wet, sloppy kisses in gratitude. She then opened her own gifts. Her nieces hand-made a simple yet colorful little clay vase. Sola and her husband had given her a beautifully-brocaded velvet shawl. Her parents gave her a fine necklace of gold and gemstones unique to Naboo. They were all beautiful things, given with love, and Padmé treasured them. Yet her fondest desire was for something that could not be put in a box and wrapped.

Jobal brought in steaming mugs of hot cider once everyone had opened all of their gifts. Padmé sipped at the beverage tasting of Nubian apples and spices, another taste that brought her back to her childhood. Then her father rose to his feet and cleared his throat for everyone's attention.

"I'd like to propose a toast," he said. "Here's to a holiday when all of me and mine are here, alive, safe, and happy. In light of all that has happened this year, that's all a man could ask for." He held up his mug as everyone said, "Hear, hear!"

After an evening of song and games, the family retired to bed. Padmé had just set a blaze in her fireplace to bring more warmth to her bedroom when she heard a soft knock on the door. She walked over and opened it, finding Sola standing in the hall. She held a package in her hands and a mischievous smile on her face. "Can I come in, Padmé? I have something for you, but not to open in front of everyone," she whispered.

Padmé arched her eyebrow. "Sola, what are you up to?"

"Don't worry, little sister, trust me on this." Padmé let in her sister and shut the door. Sola handed Padmé the package and the younger woman sat upon her bed to open it, casting a suspicious eye on her grinning sister.

Padmé lifted off the box top and opened the layers of tissue paper. Inside was a swath of ivory silk. Padmé lifted the material out of the box and saw that it was a revealing, form-fitting nightgown. "It's beautiful," Padmé gasped.

"I thought you would like it," Sola beamed. "Ah the days when I could wear something like that! Enjoy it while you can, my dear."

"Sola," Padmé said reproachfully, then she embraced her sister. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Sola laughed, patting Padmé's back. "I'm off to bed now. See you in the morning."

"Good night, and I love you."

Sola winked and blew a kiss at Padmé before letting herself out of the bedroom.

Padmé undressed and put on the new nightgown. It felt so luxurious and so sensual on her skin and it accentuated her curves. *If only Ani could see me in this. He will, the next time we meet.* Padmé then noticed the snow falling in earnest outside her window. She walked over to the windowsill, leaned on it, and watched the snow carpet the ground and trees with white. It was an old Nubian superstition to make a wish upon the first snow, and this was indeed the first snowfall of the winter. She closed her eyes, made her wish for what it was worth, then went to bed as firelight danced in shadows on her wall.

----------------------------

*Tap.*

*Tap.*

Padmé blinked slowly out of her sleep. The embers in the fireplace were dying and from what Padmé could tell by the moonlight streaming into her bedroom, it was still night. She could've sworn she heard tapping on her window, but, she mused in her half-asleep state, it might have been just part of a dream. She drew up the covers on her closer, rolled over to her side, and started to slowly drift back to sleep.

*Tap.*

*Tap.*

Again, Padmé's eyes opened. The tapping came from her window. At first she thought it might just be an animal, but then she heard it again. She sat up. It sounded as though a pebble hit the window. Who or what could be doing such a thing in the middle of the night?

Wariness naturally took over. Padmé's security guards had been concerned about her going home alone without any protection. But Padmé didn't want guards present at a family holiday gathering. She felt it was too intrusive and it emphasized Padmé's difference from the rest of the family. She just wanted to be Ruwee and Jobal's daugther, Sola's little sister, a beloved aunt and sister-in-law, not the former Queen Amidala or Senator Padmé Amidala. Captain Typho had begged Padmé to reconsider, even requested that Padmé bring Dormé along as a compromise. But Padmé wouldn't budge; besides, Dormé had family of her own she hadn't seen in a long time. She insisted that her loyal handmaiden go to her own home.

Padmé knew she should have listened; the Trade Federation and their allies in the Separatist movement wanted her dead. If she didn't have to worry about their agents, she had to worry as well about a substantial bounty on her head. It wouldn't have taken much effort to find the Naberrie family home. Yes, she was more than capable of taking care of herself. But now she realized she had also put her family in danger.

*Tap.*

She opened a bedside drawer and took out her chrome-plated laser pistol. She glanced at the chronometer as she did so...0230. No one would be out wandering around on a cold night after Festivus. She crept up to the window, staying below the line of sight of the glass. She rolled over to the right of the window and slowly rose to her feet. Peering out the window but careful not to show herself, Padmé's heart leaped at the sight of a tall humanoid figure outside, below her window. The figure picked up something off the ground and threw it at the window. A pebble bounced off the glass with another "tap." Someone had tracked her here! Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Padmé quickly formulated a plan. She would count to five, open the window, and open fire on the target. She clicked the setting to "stun." Once she got him, she would immediately contact the authorities.

*One...two...three...four* With one motion, Padmé whirled, threw open her window, aimed her blaster at the target below, and fired. Two stun bolts flew through the crisp cold air but the assassin cartwheeled away with incredible speed, leaving the bolts to harmlessly impact on the snow. "Padmé! Wait!"

The young woman froze. She knew that voice...

"Ani?" she called out, praying no one in the house could hear.

"Padmé!" Now under the moonlight could she see her beloved, apparently relieved she finally recognized him.

"What are you doing here?" Padmé said, whispering just loud enough for Anakin to her.

"I'm on leave from my last mission," he whispered back. "Artoo relayed me a message enroute and I decided to stop on by."

"Come in," she said. "It's freezing out there." She shivered in her thin nightgown.

"Back away from the window," he said, taking a few steps back himself. The next thing Padmé knew, her Ani had leapt through the window into the bedroom. He turned and closed it as Padmé ran up to him.

"Ani," she sighed, holding him tightly to her, "tell me this isn't a dream."

"I have to tell myself the same thing," he said, resting his cheek on the top of her head. He tightened his embrace around her and Padmé could tell he was struggling to hold back tears. Moisture welled up in her eyes.

Anakin looked down at his wife's nightgown. "Is this one of your gifts?" he asked, fingering the silk.

"Yes," Padmé said, "it's from my sister."

He smiled for a moment. "She has good taste." Then he looked wistful as he said, "I'm sorry I don't have anything to give you."

"No," Padmé said, looking up into Anakin's eyes. "You've brought me the only thing I truly wanted." Moved, Anakin gently cupped Padmé's chin and their lips met. They held each other as their deep, passionate kisses brought warmth to their chilled bodies.

******

Early the next morning, Sola lightly rapped on Padmé's door. Not hearing an answer, she pried open the door and saw her sister curled comfortably in bed, fast asleep, in the arms of a familiar young man. At first she blinked her eyes with disbelief. Then she realized all of her suspicions and hunches were true. Grinning, Sola quietly shut the door. She'd have to make breakfast on her own then... and think of a way to help cover for the presence of Padmé's Jedi friend.

The End.

-

<<back to padmé fan fiction