IMAGE

Tsum-Tsum T-shirt, by Disney
WALLPAPER

Untitled
by Grant Gould (for StarWars.com)

FAN ART
by master--burglar
by master--burglar
FAN FICTION
Rush
by Love and Rock Music. (TCW) The first half of "Destroy Malevolence," as Anakin and Padmé make their way towards each other.

P/A SITE
The Anakin and Padmé Gallery

CALENDAR
Desktop Calendar // March/April 2015

 


FAN FICTION : THE PHANTOM MENACE ERA

-------------------------------------------

Advice From a Jedi Master
A Star Wars Interlude

by Lester S.

-------------------------------------------

Based on characters and situations created by George Lucas

-

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

In the swirling blue/white other reality that was hyperspace, a gleaming silver starship streaked elegantly towards its destination. Within the craft's mirror-like hull, a young human boy sat on the floor of a spacious ship's cabin, wrapped in a red blanket. Reclining in a chair not far away, his feet propped up on a table, a tall humanoid figure slept, his breath escaping with a slight snore.

"I wish I could sleep like Jar Jar," Anakin Skywalker thought, as he looked at his newfound friend resting contently. Jar Jar Binks was of a race called Gungans, a semi-aquatic species from the planet Naboo. Anakin smiled as he saw Jar Jar's tongue begin to hang from his long snout. But the smile quickly faded from Anakin's round face as his mind began to dwell again on his mother.

"I'm not gonna cry," he willed himself, clinching his arms around his knees and pressing his mouth against his legs. "I promised Mom I would be brave," he reminded himself. "But... it's hard when you're alone, Mom..." Anakin's eyes began to water.

The artificial atmosphere of the starship still felt cold to the boy who was leaving behind the hot temperatures of Tatooine, a desert world that orbited two suns. But as Anakin snuggled under the warmth of the blanket that covered his small frame, he remembered he wasn't alone at all. In just the past few days, Anakin had made friends with people that had changed his life. There was Jar Jar, his rather clumsy but funny Gungan friend. There was Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who had come to believe in Anakin so much, he helped free him from being enslaved by Watto, the Toydarian junk dealer. Anakin had come to truly believe that Master Qui-Gon's belief in him helped him win the Boonta Eve Pod Race. He'd actually won! "I even beat that sleemo Sebulba!" Anakin thought with deep satisfaction.

His mother, Shmi, was the only other person who had always believed in him. His best friend, Kitster, believed in him, too, but his mother believed in him longer... all his life. Sadness welled up within Anakin again, and he grasped the blanket, trying to wrap it tighter around him. As he felt its warmth slowly comfort him, the boy reflected on the person who initially placed it about his small shoulders. It wasn't the first time.

"Padmé," Anakin whispered.

As Shmi Skywalker was the only person Anakin knew always believed in him, and loved him, his mother was the only person Anakin truly loved. Anakin was born a slave, and his Mom tried to teach him from a very early age that a slave could have nothing they could ever call their own. Everything was the property of their owner and master Watto. The home they lived in belonged to Watto. The clothes they wore belonged to Watto. The food they ate belonged to Watto. But despite that harsh fact, when Shmi tucked Anakin in bed each night, she also told Anakin words the young boy would never forget:

"Watto may own us, Ani, but he doesn't own our hearts, and he'll never own my love for you. I love you, Ani."

Those words from his mother strengthened Anakin and protected him from Watto's sometimes cruel nature. They were words that also deepened his love for his mother. Because as young as Anakin was, he knew that his mother Shmi protected him with more than words. He knew that his Mom's love shielded him not just from Watto's wrath but from the wrath of the harsh world that existed beyond the junk shop and the slave quarters. Anakin trembled on the starship floor as he was reminded again of that protective love he chose to leave behind.

But the young boy also found himself struggling with other feelings that had begun to grow within him after first meeting Padmé. Anakin thought she was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. He was enchanted by her eyes, which seemed to sparkle when light touched them. Her hair was long and flowing, much longer than his beloved mother's black hair. He'd always thought his mother was beautiful. When he was real little, he found special joy in playing with his Mom's dark hair as she held him in her gentle arms. He loved his mother so much he thought there was no room in his heart to love anyone else ever. Until the day three off- worlders walked into Watto's junk shop. While there was nothing unusual about sentient beings from far away planets traveling through the city of Mos Espa, when Anakin first set his young eyes on Padmé, he immediately felt she was more than just any off-worlder. She was truly beautiful, but Anakin felt something more. This feeling only grew stronger in him as the trio of stellar travelers ended up staying with Anakin and his mother, thanks to his eager urging.

Anakin quickly bonded with Master Qui-Gon. He was in awe of the fact that he was a Jedi Knight and peppered him with questions about his travels and adventures. He liked that he actually answered his questions! The Jedi Master reminded Anakin of his mother in how patient he was. But the boy also sensed Qui-Gon's strength, too.

Jar Jar seemed an odd companion to be with a Jedi Knight. But Anakin liked him because he made him laugh, and he seemed to have a good heart. But he even tried his Mom's patience when he attempted to help her clean the dishes: he couldn't hold a plate without breaking it!

But Padmé... seemed to entrance Anakin by just her presence. She seemed older than the teenager she appeared to be. Anakin sensed Padmé had a lot on her mind, but when he asked her about it, she didn't want to talk about it. He finally learned more of the trio's journey and mission when they sat down together to eat dinner. Anakin could hardly believe his good fortune: he'd actually met and befriended a Jedi Knight! A Knight on an adventure with a beautiful girl! It was better than the stories the old spacers had long enthralled Anakin with because it was real...and now he was going to be a part of it!

Anakin smiled to himself at the memory. "By the twin suns," the boy thought, "what a couple of days I've had!"

After winning the Boonta Eve Classic Pod Race, Anakin fondly recalled being at the center of the victory celebration. With the crowd cries of "Boonta! Boonta! Boonta!" ringing in his ears, Anakin found himself lifted onto the shoulders of Master Qui-Gon, so the Mos Espa masses could better see the race's unlikely victor; but it was also for his benefit, so little Anakin could view and feel the adulation focused on him and his amazing achievement.

Later in the Pod hangar, Anakin's mother proudly embraced her son. He somehow felt a little embarrassed being so lovingly held by her in public, but he cherished the look of pride that filled her face.

But even the joy his actions gave his mother was supplanted by the sensation Anakin felt by the brief hug he received from Padmé. The warmth of emotion that rushed through Anakin made him feel he was in the midst of the Pod Race once more. He thought only his mother could make him feel that way; but no longer.

Anakin shuddered. He was again feeling the relative coolness within the Naboo starship, a contrast with the constant heat that was the everyday reality of life on Tatooine. Yet the chill Anakin felt did not come from the ship's artificial atmosphere alone.

The subtle hiss of the cabin chamber's door opening drew Anakin's attention away from his troubled emotional state. Looking up, the small boy saw the towering figure of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn approaching him with a warm smile.

"Hello, Anakin," the Jedi Master said in his deep voice. "We're well on our way to Coruscant, and I thought I'd check on you. I sensed you had some difficulty settling in. Space travel can take a little getting used to, especially when it's your first time and it's a long journey like ours.

"Yes, sir," Anakin replied. He found himself very grateful that the Jedi Master had come at that precise moment. The boy attempted to stand, but Qui-Gon placed a giant hand on his shoulder as he knelt and sat cross-legged on the floor in front of him. Anakin appreciated how Master Qui-Gon took the extra effort to talk to him on his much shorter level.

"Can I ask you something, Master Qui-Gon?" Anakin uttered in a rather shy tone.

"Of course you can," Qui-Gon answered, smiling. "I'm sure you have many questions about this new path you've chosen to take. I'm here to do what I can to help you on that path."

"I..." Anakin began his face downcast, his chin pressed against his chest. For a moment, he was suddenly afraid to say anything. Then gathering his courage, he opened up, facing the Jedi Master. "I think I've fallen in love with Padmé. Do you think after I become a Jedi, she and I could get married?"

Master Qui-Gon was taken aback by this sudden confession. "This was definitely not the first question I thought Anakin would ask me," the Jedi thought.

The Jedi Master considered the words of his response carefully. Looking the small boy in the eyes, Master Qui-Gon spoke:

"Love is a very powerful emotion, Anakin. I saw and felt the love you shared with your mother, and I know it was very hard for you to choose to go on this journey with me while leaving her behind. But I sense you hope your decision will not just help you, but also help your mother gain her freedom someday. That is a brave and selfless choice, Anakin, and that is the heart of the Jedi path, the path you've chosen for yourself. The way of the Jedi is not an easy one but it offers us the reward of knowing we are helping others. Just as you helped Padmé, Jar Jar and I when you offered to take part in the Pod Race, the Jedi offer help to the people in the galaxy. That is our mission, to aid all living things in the galaxy, because through them the Force exists and shares its power with us."

"The Force?" Anakin said, questioning.

Qui-Gon smiled. "The Jedi believe the Force is a special source of energy created by all the living beings in the galaxy. This energy connects every living thing to one another throughout the stars. Some fortunate few can use this unique energy in special ways. You and I are among those special few. The Jedi Order was formed so beings from all over the galaxy touched by this bond with the Living Force can learn to use this gift to better themselves and serve the galaxy.

"But becoming a Jedi is not an easy life and there are sacrifices. One of these sacrifices is Jedi cannot marry. When we make the choice to walk the Jedi path, we do it with the understanding that we make the journey by ourselves. That does not mean we go through life alone. We have comrades who are our fellow Jedi and friends who are not Jedi. But to find the truth of whom we are as Jedi, our minds and hearts have to be focused and committed to seeking that truth. It is much like when you're piloting a pod racer: your focus must be on the race, controlling your pod, staying aware of the racers challenging you, setting your eyes on the race's finish and nothing else."

Anakin nodded his head, comprehending Master Qui-Gon's explanation.

"Love is part of the Jedi journey," Master Qui-Gon continued. "We Jedi share a unique love of life because of our bond with the Living Force. With the training the Jedi will guide you through, you will come to feel the beauty of life in the galaxy and how we are all connected to that life. One of the things you will learn is how people and things you encounter on your journey will help you better understand the Living Force and better understand yourself. But Anakin, it is important you understand that one of the duties of a Jedi Knight is to respect the place or path every living being has been given or chosen in the galaxy. That is what we Jedi call the will of the Force."

A frown came onto Anakin's face. "But does that mean it was the will of the Force that my mother and I are... I mean, were slaves? And that I had to leave her behind as a slave?"

The Jedi Master straightened his back, clasped his hands together then looked at the small boy intently. "No, Anakin," Qui-Gon answered. The life you're leaving behind and the life your mother continues to live on Tatooine was created by the will of greedy beings that care more about themselves than the people they share that world and the galaxy with."

Master Qui-Gon leaned closer to Anakin. "It was the will of the Force that Padmé, Jar Jar, and I came to Watto's junk shop... out of all the junk shops in Mos Espa. It was the will of the Force that we met you, and that you, of all the people on Tatooine were able to help us in our time of need."

Anakin smiled at the Jedi Master proudly then bowed his head in thought. "So... it was the will of the Force that I met Padmé..." Anakin said aloud, contemplating the idea in his mind.

It was Qui-Gon's turn for a frown to come to his face. He needed to respond to Anakin's rumination carefully. "Yes, Anakin. I believe the Force brought us together for a reason. Thanks to you, all the people on this ship have been able to continue on a very important mission. It is a mission each of us feels is our duty to perform. For Padmé, Jar Jar, and the rest of us, it has taken us across the galaxy. Now you have joined us with a special duty you have chosen to perform. It has taken you from the only home you've ever known. But each of us in our own way is committed to fulfilling that duty. Padmé's duty is to her queen and the people of her homeworld, Naboo. That duty may separate you from one another, just as yours has already taken you on this new life journey. I think it's important that you honor Padmé's sense of duty just as I'm sure she will honor your sense of duty... to yourself and for your mother to learn the way of the Force and the way of the Jedi."

Anakin found himself staring intensely into Master Qui-Gon's eyes. The Jedi Master's words began to truly impress upon him the importance of the choice he made: to actually fulfill his dream of becoming a Jedi Knight.

Master Qui-Gon returned Anakin's gaze, saying, "I've seen your bravery, Anakin. I believe you are destined to become a Jedi Knight the Order will be proud of. But you are at the very beginning of the Jedi path. Where that path will take you..." the Jedi Master smiled, placing his large hand on the boy's shoulder, "...is up to you, and the will of the Force."

With that, the Jedi Master rose. Standing at his full height, Qui-Gon Jinn was an imposing presence. To the small boy that was Anakin, he was the personification of what he hoped to one day be: a Jedi Knight.

"I think you should follow Jar Jar's example," Master Qui-Gon said glancing at the still sleeping Gungan, "and get some sleep. You'll need all your energy to see the wonders of Coruscant."

Anakin got to his feet, clumsily folding the blanket Padmé had given him. "I will. Thank you, Master Qui-Gon," he said, smiling warmly up at the Jedi Master.

"Good night, Anakin. Sleep well," Master Qui-Gon responded, smiling. With his long strides, he quickly stepped through the cabin's automatic door and was gone.

Still smiling, Anakin turned to look affectionately at Jar Jar, then, he took in the sight of the entire ship's cabin. Slowly, a more serious expression came over the boy's face. "Honor Padmé's sense of duty... as she honors mine..." Anakin silently reflected. "I'll do that." With a deep sense of conviction, Anakin reflected further; "When I become a Jedi Knight, I'll have a great ship like this. I'll be the best starship pilot in the galaxy when I go back to Tatooine and free my mother... if it's the will of the Force."

-

THE END

-

<<back to episode i era p/a fanfiction
<<back to p/a fanfiction